I've gotten it to boot all the way up by using the cheatcode:
knoppix dma lang=us screen=1024x768
but now it won't let me on to my harddrive. Whats the deal now???
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out. I am trying to run the latest knoppix on my toshiba satellite laptop (which normally runs XP), but it ALWAYS freezes at:
Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
It works on the computers at school just fine. Whats the deal??
I've gotten it to boot all the way up by using the cheatcode:
knoppix dma lang=us screen=1024x768
but now it won't let me on to my harddrive. Whats the deal now???
Did you mount the drive? If so did you mount it read/write? A serach w/ 'mount drive read/write' got me these:Originally Posted by Cefalu of Italy
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1279#5465
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236#749
the problem is that my harddrive partition icon is completely MIA on my desktop when I boot all the way into knoppix. My friend says knoppix is "seeing" the harddrive when he trys to mount it but it tells him the he is presenting the wrong fs (by the way he is using ntfs and it says that he is positive that is the right fs). Hope that helps u understand my prob now.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1279#5465
Read that post again- it explains how to mount the drives manually.
Hello,
I am the friend Cefalu speaks of. I tried to mount the partition manually, but it still gives me the error. fdisk -l shows the partition existing as /dev/hda1 with partition type HPFS/NTFS, but mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda gives no success. The knoppix-installer script also gives me errors when it tried to run cfdisk to partition the drive.
I'm fairly fluent in the Linux command line, and from what I've seen, all the standard mounting and stuff doesn't work. It seems there is some sort of problem with this special case.
I don't have access to the laptop at this moment, but would mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 produce a different result than mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda, as far as it actually working, would?
There is a bug that applies to Toshiba laptops that makes this happen. Noone seems to know why but to mount a harddrive after knoppix is booted issue this command
This will retry to read the partiontable and after that you can mount the volumes as usual. The thing is that it still wont boot from the harddrive when you reboot since it cant find the partitions. Noone seems to know what exactly causes this but i had the same problem and the knoppix 3.2 from 2003-06-06 works flawlessly. Think in another thread they concluded that it must be either the bootup script or the kernel. If you find a sollution let me know. Cause i would rather have a newer version.Code:hdparm -z /dev/hda

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)
$6999.99