You could change to the cache cd /var/cache/apt/archive and then dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb to force the overwrite and hope it works. Or you can go here and get the original it looks like the developer site is back online.
Hello,
for quite a while, I am running a HD-installation of knx 3.3. Now, I'd like to install some Midi-apps, hence I had to apt-get install alsamixer and so on. This got me the error messages quoted below - and so I deinstalled knx-alsa including the alsa-autoconfig script.
As opposed to sndconfig, alsa-conf doesnt find my Terratec PCI sound card (Cirrus Logic chip) - although XMMS using OSS still plays fine. Anyway, I feel I should reinstall knx-alsa which is not possible with apt-get! Hence I am looking for the original source code of the script. I can't find it on google.
Thanks a lot!
Raga
P.S. This was the Error code that made me deinstall knx-alsa:
root@AMD1800:/data/home/knoppix# apt-get install alsa
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Achtung, wähle alsa-base an Stelle von alsa
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
alsa-base alsa-utils
Befürwortete Pakete:
alsaconf alsadriver
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
alsa-base alsa-utils
0 aktualisiert, 2 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 148 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen 139kB der Archive geholt werden.
Nach dem Auspacken werden 483kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n] J
Hole:1 http://ftp2.de.debian.org testing/main alsa-utils 0.9.6-1 [89,5kB]
Hole:2 http://ftp2.de.debian.org testing/main alsa-base 0.9.6-5 [49,8kB]
Es wurden 139kB in 2s geholt (48,3kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package alsa-utils.
(Reading database ... 115623 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously deselected package alsa-base.
Unpacking alsa-base (from .../alsa-base_0.9.6-5_all.deb) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
You could change to the cache cd /var/cache/apt/archive and then dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb to force the overwrite and hope it works. Or you can go here and get the original it looks like the developer site is back online.
A stupid comment used to be here.
I still haven't got alsa to work,
even as it is supplied w/ the drivers
for my sound card.
I have the drivers, but I can't compile them. /usr/src/linux is present... but is it all really there?
Thanks![]()

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99
640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00
1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00