Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test9

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test9

    Just for fun I decided to try upgrading to the current test release of the new kernel on my hdd install of knoppix 3.2 on a reiser partition, dist-upgraded to Debian Unstable. My first try came from just apt-getting the new kernel. But that one just gave me a blank display instead of the normal text that appears as the kernel loads. There's no disk activity afterwards, so I'm assuming something just dies in the process.

    So my next try was just compiling it myself. I followed the advice given in this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4662#21583 thread, and things are mostly working. My main problem right now is that I'm not getting any displayed text before X starts. It's just a black screen untill the window manager selection screen appears. I'm using a geforce 4, and as per the suggestion, I have vga 16-color graphics support unselected, and vesa vga graphics support selected to be built in, as well as nvidia riva support. In vga text console I've been selecting and unselecting things in hopes of hitting on the problem, and my latest attempt was just to check everything as built in for that catagory. Still no luck. Any suggestions? Well, aside from a suggestion to just wait for 2.6 to make it into knoppix...I'm already tempted by that one. But I think I'd just wind up annoyed with myself if I gave up this quickly.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    22
    First apt-get module-init-tools
    Take and read thru http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...loween-2.5.txt
    It will help on compile
    For the vga problem comment out or move vga= to your 2.4 selection of lilo /grub
    lspci for listing of you hardware
    make menuconfig or xmenuconfig
    make
    make modules_install
    make install
    *** I currently use the older NVIDIA drivers there is a newer one. ****
    You will need the http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html patch for the nvidia driver.
    ./NVIDIA*.sh --extract-only
    cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363/usr/src/nv
    patch -p1 < NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4363-2.6.diff
    mv Makefile.kbuild Makefile
    make

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test9

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe999
    Just for fun I decided to try upgrading to the current test release of the new kernel on my hdd install of knoppix 3.2 on a reiser partition, dist-upgraded to Debian Unstable. My first try came from just apt-getting the new kernel. But that one just gave me a blank display instead of the normal text that appears as the kernel loads. There's no disk activity afterwards, so I'm assuming something just dies in the process.

    So my next try was just compiling it myself. I followed the advice given in this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4662#21583 thread, and things are mostly working. My main problem right now is that I'm not getting any displayed text before X starts. It's just a black screen untill the window manager selection screen appears. I'm using a geforce 4, and as per the suggestion, I have vga 16-color graphics support unselected, and vesa vga graphics support selected to be built in, as well as nvidia riva support. In vga text console I've been selecting and unselecting things in hopes of hitting on the problem, and my latest attempt was just to check everything as built in for that catagory. Still no luck. Any suggestions? Well, aside from a suggestion to just wait for 2.6 to make it into knoppix...I'm already tempted by that one. But I think I'd just wind up annoyed with myself if I gave up this quickly.
    You can try with my working config it is setup for an athlon on a via motherboard with support for ext2, ext3 and reiserfs built in no need for an initrd, you would most likely have to change quite a few things you can find it here. I believe I tracked it down to the console fonts not being compiled in but not quite sure there was more than a few re-compiles and the first few blind logins and reboots were quite fun so I was not exactly taking notes. BTW you do not need the riva I have it compiled as a module and never load it the framebuffer still works.

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel Upgrading for noobs?
    By Stealth870 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:23 AM
  2. Help with Upgrading KDE
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
  3. Upgrading Kernel Troubles
    By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 06:15 PM
  4. Trouble configuring Kernel 2.6.0-test9
    By Tiger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 03:49 AM
  5. Anyone else having Wine problems under 2.6.0-test9?
    By katsushiro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00