Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: about ntfs

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10

    about ntfs

    it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
    Tks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: about ntfs

    Quote Originally Posted by Pretone
    it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
    Tks
    You are playing with fire if you mean creating files under linux. The linux NTFS driver is not safe for creating file of any kind on a NTFS partition. I would advice you don't do that in the future or your whole NTFS partition can be trashed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Tustin, California, US
    Posts
    5
    I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

    Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?

    Stephen

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by sjborch
    I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

    Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?
    Depends on what NTFS driver you use. The old can trash NTFS. The rewritten one can't however it's very limited in functionality.See yourself the NTFS driver status page.

    My some month old Knoppix has the obsolete NTFS driver, I don't know if it was upgraded since then but would be very nice

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. NTFS: Will 3.4/2.6 write to NTFS reliably and safely?
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
  5. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99