-
Cannot switch root partitions
Hi all,
this is surely a LILO problem, but I cannot figure out myself, what the
heck I am doing wrong.
I have installed the CD to /dev/hda10, a reasonably big partition.
Now there are several smaller partitions like>
/ ==> /dev/hda5
/usr ==> /dev/hda6
/var ==> /dev/hda8
/home ==> /dev/hda9 ...
which I want to use.
I have copied the files with cp -ax to their respective target partitions
and I think this should be allright.
Running lilo doesnt show any mistakes to me, so I am really struggling
why it always boots with /dev/hda10 as root device,despite the lilo.conf.hda5 that I have edited:
Important parts of lilo.conf.hda5:
---snip---
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda5
install=/mnt/hda5/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/mnt/hda5/boot/map
default=Linux-hda5
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux-hda5
initrd=/mnt/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
root=/dev/hda5
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
root=/dev/hda10
---snap---
lilo -C /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf.hda5
produces the following output:
---snip---
...
Added Linux-hda5 *
<dev=0xe0,hd=20,cyl=66,sct=197>
"ro root=305 hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
...
Added Linux
Device 0x030a: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 4864 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 55135143 sectors.
---snap---
After reboot, it will always boot into /dev/hda10.
What is wrong?
Tnx Thomas
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Cannot switch root partitions
Bad:
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Good:
image=/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Get rid of all those entries that start w/ /mnt.
-
Re: Cannot switch root partitions

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Bad:
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Good:
image=/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Get rid of all those entries that start w/ /mnt.
But /hda5 does not exist.
If I specify an image, ..., it should exist when lilo runs.
This does not make sense to me.
-
I get the impression it is the initrd which is voiding my attempts
to use a different root partition.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3053#14435
in the linuxrc script in the initrd image mount /dev/hda6 is HARDCODED
So I would need to change that in linuxrc.
Any ideas how to do that?
Thomas
-
Senior Member
registered user
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
initrd=/mnt/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
the image and initrd references should be relative to your root definition so:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
and
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
should work,
if not you should use the devices not the mount points like this:
image=/dev/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
and
initrd=/dev/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
~rock
Similar Threads
-
By djarum in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By senorian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
-
By regus in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By efi360 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair
$365.00