Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: apt-get update Error

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23

    apt-get update Error

    Hi Y'all,
    still getting the feel of Linux but still a nOObe in some areas still. It seems that when I try to run "apt-get update" I get errors @ Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (194.109.137.21. - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Hit http://ftp2.de.debian.org ../project/experimental/non-free Packages
    Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
    Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (194.109.137.21. - connect (111 Connection refused)
    > I edited the apt/sources.list to include "deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main' and still get the same error. Also it seems that I get a timeduot error @ 'Err http://people.debian.org ./ Release
    Could not connect to people.debian.org:80 (192.25.206.10), connection timed out
    ". I am trying to install grip and abcde and keep getting the run apt-get update promt, what gives?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: apt-get update Error

    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos55
    Hi Y'all,
    still getting the feel of Linux but still a nOObe in some areas still. It seems that when I try to run "apt-get update" I get errors @ Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (194.109.137.21. - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Hit http://ftp2.de.debian.org ../project/experimental/non-free Packages
    Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
    Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (194.109.137.21. - connect (111 Connection refused)
    > I edited the apt/sources.list to include "deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main' and still get the same error. Also it seems that I get a timeduot error @ 'Err http://people.debian.org ./ Release
    Could not connect to people.debian.org:80 (192.25.206.10), connection timed out
    ". I am trying to install grip and abcde and keep getting the run apt-get update promt, what gives?
    The servers are offline being checked due to a couple of other different servers being compromised so I imagine it will be a couple of days before you, I or anybody else can install anything. Unfortunately the announcement is here: http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/f...y-20031121.txt

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18
    What are the implications for machines that have run apt-get update using the compromised servers? Or is that what the archive was not compromised mean?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunders
    What are the implications for machines that have run apt-get update using the compromised servers? Or is that what the archive was not compromised mean?
    I would assume that is what is meant by the phrase "the archive is not affected" is there is no problem with it. I have run both chkrootkit and tiger on my machine and they show no changes so that's a good sign at least but that is about the extent of my first hand knowledge with the problem.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Hi everyone (I'm assuming a lot of Knoppix people would go through this)... I do have a simple request to those who are 'in the know' regarding the state of the Debian servers... I don't know if they will make a public announcement when the repositories are online again but I would like to ask those that do have access to information about it, unnanounced or not, to tell us novices when they are back and ready... Many thanks in advance.... -bxb

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    Go to Planet Debian. At mid-week this will be ok.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Thanks, got the announcement and bookmarked the site... yeah, they say they may need up to Wednesday to get everything done... sounds good to me...


    Oh, I do know that you meant Debian Planet Thanks again...

    For those that want to get in on this you can reach Debian Planet here:
    http://www.debianplanet.org

    The status of the cleanup can be found here:
    http://www.wiggy.net/debian/

Similar Threads

  1. Error when running apt-get update
    By sunpascal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 12:57 PM
  2. Apt Update error msg
    By kbhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 03:26 AM
  3. error msg with apt-get update
    By MR_EPOD in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 12:09 PM
  4. apt-get update error
    By pc3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. apt-get update error
    By bennyp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313 picture

Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313

$229.98



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99