You might try the Docs section. ot of great how-to's there.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall![]()
Good luck and have fun!
paul
Hello,
I finally got Knoppix and want to get it onto my HD. I have read various explanations to do -- the easiest using a floppy.
My notebook doesnt have a floppy and i am not ready (yet) to get a USB floppy drive, so i cant do this rawrite thing of the boot.img onto A:
I also can not do the HD install thing, because i don't have 2.5G minimum available for uncompressed knoppix.
I have about 1.2GB space available and would like the Knoppix image to sit on my HD in its compressed format (750MB).
I have prepared a boot partition 63MB and a swap partition 128MB and an empty logical partition 1G on my harddrive. My primary partition is currently still running win95, and i have Partition magic installed.
So my question, is there a way to get linux booting without a floppy from my HD. Also, i have stumbled over LOADLIN, can i use it, somehow, to get the linux image loading.
thank you
Daniel
You might try the Docs section. ot of great how-to's there.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall![]()
Good luck and have fun!
paul
I have a laptop w/ a harddrive, and external CD, and no floppy drive.
I put Knoppix on the HD and got it to work without using a boot floppy or the CD.
See my reply on this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6329
Originally Posted by brentmid
Thank you for the link, sound great !!
Would this also work for win95. Also do you think you can somehow post or send me the boot files that were on the floppy -- perhaps in a zipped format.
Well -
I just saw a reply to my other post that may work for you. You can use memdisk to point GRUB directly at a boot floppy image file (which should be among the files you copy over to your HD from the CD) - then there is no need to have a floppy drive at all to extract the image file to. Look for the section that mentions memdisk:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6329
If you don't like that, there has got to be a utility out there that will take a floppy image and give you the files in it directly to your HD without having to actually use a floppy. I just don't know a specific place for you to look for one.
If you can't find such a utility and you'd like me to email you the files from the boot floppy I can do that. Private message me w/ the email address you want me to send them to. I have no idea if it will work, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Oh -
And I am not sure about the Win95 thing.
Does Win95 come w/ some sort of thing equivalent to NTLDR?
It has been a LONG time since I used Win95, so I don't know the answer to that...
This post covers the topic:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075#4399

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99
S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00