Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79

    Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

    Hi knoppix people,
    I've a friend who has a laptop with XP (fat32) 10G on it plus an external 40G USB HD.

    What I'm trying to find out is what is the best way to backup the laptop's HD image to the USB HD (or restore) under knoppix??

    "dd"-ing ...? Or just backup via kbackup or similar? Other??

    Thank you
    rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    cp ?
    "man cp" for options..

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

    Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

    If he's just trying to backup files then I suggest taring and zipping.

    tar -czvf /mnt/windows_files /mnt/usb_drive

    Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

    --Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

    --Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

    If he's just trying to backup files then I suggest taring and zipping.

    tar -czvf /mnt/windows_files /mnt/usb_drive

    Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Yuck! Please do write them. I didn't know that. I have only used this to backup files onto a cd-r/rw so I guess that's why I haven't had any problems. If i ever get a dvd-r/rw though this would become a problem. I should buy some more hard drives! Thanks

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79

    Re: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.
    This is exactly what I was trying to find! Thanks!

    rob

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

    --Actually I was completely wrong about the 2GB filesize limitation. SuSE 7.3 suffers from this, Debian does not. My apologies for the confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

    --Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

    If he's just trying to backup files then I suggest taring and zipping.

    tar -czvf /mnt/windows_files /mnt/usb_drive

    Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Not a problem. It's easy to get things mixed up. Thanks for posting a reply.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Trouble with partimaged?

    I was messing around with partimaged and got the following error on use:

    knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ partimaged
    partimaged: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    Any idea anyone?i

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Partimage

    I was looking at some posts over at the linuxtag site earlier today and I remember reading that others were having this problem. Someone chimed in that there is a bug that affects partimage in the 12-12 release. You may want to look over there and see what else is said about the issue. Hopefully, if there is a bug, it will get reported back to Klaus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. where on knoppix can i find a backup program?
    By kevstar31 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 06:32 PM
  3. the best backup system for knoppix?
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  4. Using Knoppix to backup data over a network.
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 10:55 PM
  5. knoppix for backup
    By mohater in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$236.55



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection picture

Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection

$129.99



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts picture

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts

$69.99



Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s picture

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s

$135.65