Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cannot Play Audio CDs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Cannot Play Audio CDs

    As root I can play audio cd, with xmms or kscd, as root.

    Cannot do this as my regular user.

    I've checked permissions, and changed owner of kscd to a user, but this still did not work.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Cannot Play Audio CDs

    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    As root I can play audio cd, with xmms or kscd, as root.

    Cannot do this as my regular user.

    I've checked permissions, and changed owner of kscd to a user, but this still did not work.

    Any ideas?

    thanks
    Try XMMS and in the Play Location use /dev/cdrom.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Re: Cannot Play Audio CDs

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Try XMMS and in the Play Location use /dev/cdrom.
    I've tried /dev/cdaudio and /dev/cdrom and neither work with XMMS and KsCD.

    I think it is a permission issue.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Cannot Play Audio CDs

    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    I've tried /dev/cdaudio and /dev/cdrom and neither work with XMMS and KsCD.

    I think it is a permission issue.
    That's weird what do the links look like here's what it looks like on mine.
    Code:
    [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~]
    >$ ll /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 2003-11-27 15:16 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
    [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~]
    >$ ll /dev/cdrom0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2003-11-27 15:16 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/scd0
    [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~]
    >$ ll /dev/scd0
    brwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      11,   0 2002-03-14 17:54 /dev/scd0
    [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~]
    Just to ask the totally obvious you are a member of both the audio and cdrom groups for the user you are trying to play the CD with? Can you get access if you put a data CD in the drive and either click on the shortcut on the desktop or mount from the command line? And what is the exact error it gives you when you try to play in either program.

    [edit]
    You can check the group membership by using groupsor id in a console window. If you are not a member of either then adduser user_name audio or cdrom as root then logout and back in for the changes to take effect.
    [/edit]

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    I've added my user, adduser user cdrom, and that didn't work.

    My output looks like this:

    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Nov  8 18:59 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    
    No output for /dev/cdrom0 
    
    brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 May 31  2001 /dev/scd0
    When I run kscd, this is the error message that I get...



    CD-ROM read or access error ( or no audio disc in drive )

    Please make sure you have access premissions to /dev/cdrom


  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    I've added my user, adduser user cdrom, and that didn't work.

    My output looks like this:

    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Nov  8 18:59 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    
    No output for /dev/cdrom0 
    
    brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 May 31  2001 /dev/scd0
    When I run kscd, this is the error message that I get...



    CD-ROM read or access error ( or no audio disc in drive )

    Please make sure you have access premissions to /dev/cdrom

    I would say use chmod 777 /dev/scd0 as root to give it the same permissions as mine and anybody should be able to access the device.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Got it.

    I had to chmod ugo+x on scdo0 and cdrom and it works.

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. How to play .wmv, .asf, and .asx files?
    By hinachan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 03:05 AM
  2. 3.6 / 2.6 KsCD won't play
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 06:06 AM
  3. Cannot play .mov file
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 08:06 AM
  4. How do I play a dvd?
    By turbine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
  5. Cannot play audio cdroms?
    By JockVSJock in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 04:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99