Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

    I have a second PC which uses my 'seconds/spares' - I wanted to swap the video card and see what sort performance the others have. I've done a 'Debian style HD install' on this machine.

    Right, I understand I can boot from the Knoppix CD and it will auto-configure the card, but how do I go about making a permanent change to a HD install?

    I don't really have any good ideas where to start, other than noting what Knoppix auto-detects.....

    I'll be busy reading this forum and Googling in the meantime, hoping for a tool that does this for me! - but any help appreciated.

    Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot your cd, and make sure your mouse, and video is working properly, then from a root console mount your hd partition read/write then:

    Backup your existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file on your hard drive which will be at: /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    (where hdXy corresponds to your hard drive device ie: hda1, hda2, hdb3 etc.)

    I usually add the card module name to the end of the name ie: XF86Config-4-sis, XF86Config-4-nv, XF86Config-4-ati etc.

    then copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Many thanks for a quick reply!

    I had a look through the /etc/XF86Config-4 file and it had (lots of) the following clue:-

    "The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config"

    - I might play around with this and see what I can break!

    Cheers, Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  2. Thoughts from a new user
    By Worm in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:13 AM
  3. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  4. swapping boot partitions
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack picture

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack

$500.00



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99