-
boot partition or not?
I installed knoppix after creating 3 partitions: 64MB boot, 1024MB swap, and remainder was root. I installed lilo to the MBR, which I am assuming is partition #1(boot) and then tried starting up....I keep getting this LILO tiestamp error?! I remember installing knoppix a while back but without the boot partition... just keeping it simple with 2 partitions... and it worked fine. Does knoppix support boot partitions?
-
Senior Member
registered user
A /boot partition is necessary if your BIOS is old and does nont support booting from beyond the 1024th cylinder. I use a /boot partition on an old HP 166 netserver for example. IIRC there was a bug w/ lilo and perhapsyou just need to reinstall it. Use a boot floppy to boot Linux or use the Knoppix cd, mount your /root partition, chroot to the mount point for your /root partition and rerun lilo.
Similar Threads
-
By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
-
By mcin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 10:56 AM
-
By Zzap in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
-
By spade in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 04:49 PM
-
By viet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95