Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Make copy of knoppix cd?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    Make copy of knoppix cd?

    I got the knoppix cd and it works great. I'd like to make a backup copy but don't know how. One would think that this could be done with k3b but I can't seem to make it work. K3b fails at the start of the copy process. Anyone know how I can do this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    you will have to give more info... for example, your config, the error's you see etc

    you might also check the k3b site wether it is an known bug. and finally, you might have a problem with the size of Knoppix - alot ppl report troubles cuz the CD's size is on the edge of what is the maximum, and some burners/burnsoftware doesnt support it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Cant you just make an iso from the cd in k3b? then you can burn as many as you want.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    thanks

    Thank you, Superstoned and turbinater, I'll try what you say. Don't know what my configuration in k3b was since I just used defaults. The error message was quite lengthy and it told me to notify some guy but not how to do so. Creating an iso from the cd sounds like a worthwile strategy so I'll try that next.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Make copy of knoppix cd?

    Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    I got the knoppix cd and it works great. I'd like to make a backup copy but don't know how. One would think that this could be done with k3b but I can't seem to make it work. K3b fails at the start of the copy process. Anyone know how I can do this?
    Hmmm- I think you are using an elephant gun to kill a mouse. Presuming that you can boot Linux from hdd then just use dd or cat like so:

    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/home/user/Knoppix.iso

    or

    cat /dev/scd0 > /home/user/Knoppix.iso

    Phooey on the GUI.

    If you're trying to copy the cd while booted to it then I think that won't work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    copying knoppix cd

    Yeah, rickenbacherus, I was trying to copy the cd while being booted from it. I wasn't aware that I couldn't do that. I am not able to boot from hdd yet. Still evaluating.

    By the way, I haven't been able to copy it under windows either. Using adaptec cdwriter and it doesn't give many options to select at all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Make copy of knoppix cd?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    If you're trying to copy the cd while booted to it then I think that won't work.
    Hmm. This used to work. I remember I once made a copy of Knoppix while running it using K3B.

    I suppose you should also be able to do this with something like
    Code:
    $ cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 speed=4 /dev/scd0
    .

    Here dev=0,1,0 is the burning cdrom and /dev/scd0 is the reading cdrom. Just make sure you burn at a slow speed. Perhaps 1.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    you can't burn if Knoppix is in your burning device... cuz you can't eject knoppix while using it... so if you only have 1 cddrive, you can't burn cd's using knoppix.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    copying knoppix cd

    Thank you aay, I'll try that next. rickenbacherus, I was
    able to load and run from hdd and I tried both of your
    suggestions. I couldn't get them to work though. I kept
    getting error messages saying the destination was not a
    directory or that it was not writable.
    aay, tried reading the man pages for cdrecord and cdrao.
    It looked like advanced calculus to me and I wasn't able
    to make much of it. Kept passing out while reading and
    never finished.
    Superstoned, thanks for the info. I do have 2 cdrom drives on my system, a read only and a read/write drive.
    There's gotta be somebody somewhere
    who has specific instructions, that he has tried and
    that he knows works, on how to do this. I tried contacting
    the folks at k3b but their website is down and they
    don't answer email.

Similar Threads

  1. Is My copy of Knoppix Dead?
    By Dr Snark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
  2. Make HdBased Copy -> "Lagging" after start KDE
    By Popovn in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 01:18 PM
  3. Citrix ICA 7 won't run on HD copy of KNOPPIX
    By dugstratton in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 11:57 AM
  4. Citrix ICA 7 won't run on HD copy of KNOPPIX
    By dugstratton in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM
  5. How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???
    By gadave in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00