Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Anyone ever used Lindows?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Anyone ever used Lindows?

    No it isn't for me but rather my dad who is driving me insane with the constant phone calls about how to ungoof windows. I've had it! At least with Lindows I'm thinking I could ssh in and fix stuff myself. Ever tried to talk a 60 year old first time pc user through anything over the phone? I'd rather have brain surgery.

    As I understand it Lindows runs winapps but on Linux. What about a winmodem? Do they work w/ Lindows or do I still need to get a serial modem? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Good question about the winmodems, you should be able to compile the linuxant winmodem source your self. but i'm not sure though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Anyone ever used Lindows?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Ever tried to talk a 60 year old first time pc user through anything over the phone? I'd rather have brain surgery.
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    As I understand it Lindows runs winapps but on Linux.
    When Lindows was first announcing that they were going to produce a new Linux distro, they claimed that it would be able to run all (or nearly all) windows apps. Since that time the lindows people have really distanced themselves from that claim. they basically use wine (with perhaps some modifications) to run their windows apps. anyone familiar with wine, knows that it certainly won't run all windows apps, but will run some of them fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    What about a winmodem? Do they work w/ Lindows or do I still need to get a serial modem? Thanks.
    Check out this page: http://www.lfriendly.com/

    It is maintained by the Lindows people and has some helpful info. I notice that they list only one modem compatible with linux! Doesn't look like they have done much to help out in this area.

    Just make sure that you realize that in order to use Lindows click and run method of installing new programs, you have to fork over $99.

    Of cource since Lindows is debian based, I understand that you can also modify your /etc/apt/sourses.list file and just use apt.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    If you're willing to pay for a Linux distro, you're probably better off with Libranet(the latest version charges), Xandros ($99? and comes with Crossover Office), or doing a Knoppix HD install and getting Crossover Office.

    (I wonder if you were running Lindows if you could use apt on their sites without forking over the cash?)

    It all depends on what Windows apps are on it that he wants to use.

    BTW, with Knoppix 3.3, I ran Deus Ex better than it runs in WinXP (no HW acceleration though), and Fallout 2 also ran flawlessly.

    As for the modem, either check out http://linmodems.org/ or search a newsgroup and pick up a HW modem for $10-15.

Similar Threads

  1. lindows floppy save??
    By bugsy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$180.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99