Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Trouble configuring Kernel 2.6.0-test9

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9

    Trouble configuring Kernel 2.6.0-test9

    The short version of the story.

    I'm running Knoppix 3.3-11-19 on a HD install.
    I downloaded and unpacked kernel-source-2.6.0-test9.
    Made a symlink between that directory and "linux.
    cd'd to linux and tried to run both make xconfig and make menuconfig.
    Here's the error I'm getting.

    Code:
    root@tiger:/usr/src# cd linux
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    I went looking for /usr/include/bits/socket.h and it's there.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Trouble configuring Kernel 2.6.0-test9

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    The short version of the story.

    I'm running Knoppix 3.3-11-19 on a HD install.
    I downloaded and unpacked kernel-source-2.6.0-test9.
    Made a symlink between that directory and "linux.
    cd'd to linux and tried to run both make xconfig and make menuconfig.
    Here's the error I'm getting.

    Code:
    root@tiger:/usr/src# cd linux
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    I went looking for /usr/include/bits/socket.h and it's there.

    Any ideas?
    Have you tried getting test11 and seeing if the error persists? That is the latest test kernel and you may as well be using it anyway and if I am reading the error correctly you should be looking for asm/socket.h it cannot find that file called from the bits/socket.h.

    BTW did you know you should be using the fakeroot package to compile the kernel instead of doing it as root? A guide to compiling the kernel the Debian way.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Trouble configuring Kernel 2.6.0-test9

    --I'm getting the same error with the 2.6.0 "stable" kernel, Knoppix 2003-11-19:

    Code:
     /usr/src/linux # make menuconfig
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    --The gcc symlink has been pointed to 2.95, all package versions verified and up-to-date accord to Documentation/Changes.

    --Anyone else getting a similar error?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    The short version of the story.

    I'm running Knoppix 3.3-11-19 on a HD install.
    I downloaded and unpacked kernel-source-2.6.0-test9.
    Made a symlink between that directory and "linux.
    cd'd to linux and tried to run both make xconfig and make menuconfig.
    Here's the error I'm getting.

    Code:
    root@tiger:/usr/src# cd linux
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    root@tiger:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    I went looking for /usr/include/bits/socket.h and it's there.

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    I ran into the same problem. It looks like it is caused by the symlink between /usr/src/linux and the new 2.6.0 kernel source. /usr/include/bits/socket.h is looking for asm/socket.h

    it turns out that /usr/include/asm is a symlink back to /usr/src/linux/include/asm - which is now pointing into the 2.6.0 kernel source.

    I am going try pointing the symlink /usr/src/linux back to the old location, and try out 'make xconfig' - then reswitch the link back to 2.6.0 before building the kernel.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by cdcttr
    I ran into the same problem. It looks like it is caused by the symlink between /usr/src/linux and the new 2.6.0 kernel source. /usr/include/bits/socket.h is looking for asm/socket.h

    it turns out that /usr/include/asm is a symlink back to /usr/src/linux/include/asm - which is now pointing into the 2.6.0 kernel source.

    I am going try pointing the symlink /usr/src/linux back to the old location, and try out 'make xconfig' - then reswitch the link back to 2.6.0 before building the kernel.
    It looks like Kano has a script to fix that on his page here. Take a look at the fix-include-linux.sh.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --I fixed the problem by ' apt-get install linux-kernel-headers '; it looks like the 2003-11-19 knoppix-kernel-headers is incompatible with 2.6.0.

    --See this thread for more details:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...861&highlight=

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by cdcttr
    I ran into the same problem. It looks like it is caused by the symlink between /usr/src/linux and the new 2.6.0 kernel source. /usr/include/bits/socket.h is looking for asm/socket.h

    it turns out that /usr/include/asm is a symlink back to /usr/src/linux/include/asm - which is now pointing into the 2.6.0 kernel source.

    I am going try pointing the symlink /usr/src/linux back to the old location, and try out 'make xconfig' - then reswitch the link back to 2.6.0 before building the kernel.
    It looks like Kano has a script to fix that on his page here. Take a look at the fix-include-linux.sh.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --I fixed the problem by ' apt-get install linux-kernel-headers '; it looks like the 2003-11-19 knoppix-kernel-headers is incompatible with 2.6.0.
    AH! that's why I never had a problem I got that package over a month ago when the packages were first split. I thought it was strange you guys were getting that error when it compiled with no problem here well I know why now.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for all the input.
    I will try again with the final 2.6.0 kernel.
    I did the same upgrade on my Slackware drive and it went slicker than snot.

Similar Threads

  1. Having trouble configuring my knoppix for LAN
    By KNOPPIX_BOY in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:13 AM
  2. Trouble Configuring Mouse
    By ozlad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 04:06 AM
  3. Some trouble with Kernel 2.6 and ext3
    By debi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 11:08 AM
  4. Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test9
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 06:37 AM
  5. Trouble configuring Internet on Knoppix.
    By flamesrock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 06:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



10Gtek ASF-10G-T 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Transceiver Module picture

10Gtek ASF-10G-T 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Transceiver Module

$19.98



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Lot of 9 Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 V03 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver picture

Lot of 9 Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 V03 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver

$59.99