-
Senior Member
registered user
unstable vs stable
Thank you all very much for your responses, I've learned quite a bit from what you've told me. Like a lot of you I've been a software developer for a large number of years. Recently I broke away from the business of developing software for wages and decided to launch a business that partially makes use of the skills that I learned over the years. At the core of this business will be an engine, if you will, that will be scanning the internet, collecting, categorizing, and analyzing certain information. The information will be presented to me on demand, with which I will make purchase and sales decisions. Once set up and started, this engine has to run constantly in an unattended mode and has to be extremely reliable and robust. It has to be "set it and forget it".
I knew that M'soft didn't have an os that would suit my purposes and, having used Red Hat in the past, I started looking at different Linux distributions. I acquired Knoppix and was literally amazed at how far things had progressed since I last used any Linux system. Then I saw that Knoppix was Debian based and Debian had the concept of stable and unstable etc. That led me to acquiring Debian Woody while still investigating Knoppix. This is why the concept of "stable" is important to me.
Similar Threads
-
By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 08:49 PM
-
By newellrp1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:33 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 02:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99