-
Senior Member
registered user
Turbine,
I think, no, actually, I can HONESTLY say, that Linux is by far the most stable OS you can find - paid for or not. From what I have read, and what I have seen in the posts on this forum, I don't think any OS can even come close to what ANY of the Linux "flavors" not only "preach" but DELIVER on.
I so strongly believe this statement, that I went back down to the puter store I was having a system built at, which was probably going to get Win98SE installed on, and had them completely re-vamp the hardware install to allow Linux to be happy on. Most notable issue was the standard WinModem that comes in "most" "standard" computer systems. I had them include a USB "standard" modem on the side.
I don't think you can go wrong, with your idea, and it being "stable", if you plan on using a "flavor" of Linux on it.
From some of the posts I have read, now some of these could be "exagerated" a little, but, even if they are, I can seriously say, I still believe in them: People are consistantly saying that they can leave their systems up for days, weeks, and even months, without needing to reboot. Sounds good to me ! Shesh, I reboot after doing anything with a M$ OS. Reboot after installing a new program, reboot after being on the internet, reboot after working on a wave file, reboot after so many hours, reboot after burning a CD, etc... etc... etc...
Most of these reboots are not for instability, mostly because of the "memory leaks" that seem to eat away at your resources. M$ seems to think the problem is a programmer issue, and a programmer can't always keep memory issues cleaned up. Like when your program crashes, how can you clean up your memory allocation if your program drops off the face of the "OS Earth"? I seriously think it is the responsibility of the OS to keep track of allocated memory, and when it is not being used, place it back into the available pool for re-use, but M$ doesn't think that way. So, you get memory leaks.
Shesh, I edit large wave files, and I can just watch my memory dwindle away chunk by chunk. When I exit the program, you'd think the memory would return, NOPE. I sit with a little over 10k of RAM, never to see my 320 Meg again, unless I reboot. Worse yet, god forbid I start another program without booting. The system either crashes severely, or I freeze. I've had the message: "Unable to run XXXXXXX, please close down any running programs to free memory, or consult your program developer." so many times, and nothing is running!
Amazing M$ has gotten to be so big with all the problems? Just goes to show, if you get your name in the "mainstream" of the public, it will be bought, even with all the memory leaks, security issues, instability, and virus attacks, that APPEAR to only inflict M$ OS's??? Hmmmmm, wonder why?????
[giggle] Maybe this is the "Wrath Of God" coming down on the mighty M$ Monopoly? ( I can't imagine why for the life of me though? )
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 08:49 PM
-
By newellrp1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:33 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 02:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00