-
Re: looking for basic step by step how to install device dri
Thanks for your reply. Here is the readme on this driver:
Description:
This is a linux device driver and utility for Ralink RT2400.
================================================== =====================
1) Compatibility.
RedHat 7.1
RedHat 7.2
RedHat 7.3
RedHat 8.0
RedHat 9.0
2) Installation Procedure
- run 'make config' to set up module install directory.
(If the new kernel has a different version string, you need to
change the directory. The default answer is correct for most users.)
- run 'make install'
(This will do everything (install the driver and the necessary files ).
(make sure that you logged on as root).
- run '/sbin/insmod rt2400.o' (as root)
run '/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up'
run '/sbin/route add default gw YOUR_DEFAULT_GW dev ra0'
(where [YOUR_IP] like [192.168.1.1], [YOUR_DEFAULT_GW] like [192.168.1.254])
- run '/usr/local/bin/RaConfig' to start the Configuring Utility.
3) Uninstall Procedure
- run "make uninstall"
==================================
The instructions are so cryptic. Do I put the driver in a particular directory? These instructions are for RedHat. I am using SUSE. Will these instructions work with my distribution?
I am willing to learn and search and read, but is there NO step by step directions on installing a driver, for crying out loud? This should be really basic stuff that should have some kind of documentation. I've been to the howtos, the man pages, forums on half dozen different linux websites...and am still as baffled as when I started looking for info...just to install a freaking driver!!! Come on Linux, you can do better than this!
Please help!!!

Originally Posted by
Bartman

Originally Posted by
hnash53
I am looking for some kind of howto on installing downloaded device drivers. The readme instructions are very obtuse, vague, and cryptic in the downloaded drivers I have seen.
Agreed, but unless you can find better instructions somewhere, this is what you're stuck with...

Originally Posted by
hnash53
I need something that says where to install etc. Thanks.
It will vary wildly, depending on the driver. If you have a particular driver you're interested in, you can post the bits of its README you want translated here if you like. Also a link to download it from would be helpful.
Bartman
P.S. I just finished getting a driver installed for my Radeon 9000 vid card on the weekend, it was a nasty job... I feel your pain...

But I got it working in the end!

Similar Threads
-
By Patsy57 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 03:22 PM
-
By Antoine in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
-
By Rod F. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
-
By Coume in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 04:47 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00