Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Unable to read mounted drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9

    Unable to read mounted drive

    I recently installed Knoppix to my hard drive and was wanting to access one of my Windows disks. Everything mounts properly but I cannot read any information from it using my default user (squeegy). I thought I might need to add squeegy to the disk group, but that did not work either. I have tried to chown squeegy:squeegy /mnt/hdb1 but it still remains root:root

    I am sure this is something fairly simple, I just can't find anything when I search for it.

    Thanks
    Michael

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hi,

    Try modifying your /etc/fstab and add uid & gid on your windows disk.
    My windows ntfs line looks like:

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=myuserlogin,gid=myuserlog in 0 0

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    Nope that didn't do anything different. If it makes any difference I also just noticed that prior to mounting /dev/hdb1 under /mnt/hdb1, that /mnt/hdb1 initially has the ability for group read, etc. then it is as soon as I mount the drive only the user can access the file, the group permissions disappear.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Do you mount the drives using the icons on the desktop? Well, if you do it that way, it gets mounted as read only.

    If you do it from the terminal though (or the run command box), you'd be fine. You won't see the desktop icons light up though. If you want to browse it through Konqueror, just open up Konqueror and browse to /mnt/hdx.

    Or you can type konqueror /mnt/hdx on the terminal.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    No I'm not mounting from the desktop I no longer even have those icons. I am only mounting from console. I understand that it will mount readonly. I can't even get permission to read it unless I am root.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Hmmm.... wierd to me as I've never had this problem.

    I suggest you post your fstab so our gurus here can have a stab at it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    I'm no expert here but how about removing the 'ro' and changing it to 'rw'?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I wouldn't give write rights to ntfs disks, you could screw up the file system if you wrote.

    Sorry if obvious, but you did substitute in my earlier post myuserlogin for squeegy?

    Try doing as root:
    cd /dev
    chmod 555 hda1 (same for hdc5 and hdb1)

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    I am not trying to get write access first of all, so changing it to rw would do nothing. I can't read the drive when I am any other user than root. I tried adding uid=squeegy it still responded the same. Tried cd /dev then chmod 555 hdb1 still nothing.

    squeegy@mars:~$ cd /mnt/hdb1
    bash: cd: /mnt/hdb1: Permission denied

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. filesystem mounted read-only after check forced
    By scramble in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 05:46 PM
  2. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  3. Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable
    By jay_kpx in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
  4. Unable to Read PDF Files on Knoppix 3.4
    By furryfren in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:12 PM
  5. Gaim on Yahoo! (unable to read)
    By Bazy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lot of 2 Cisco 10-3107-01 SFP-10G-LR-S S-Class SFP+ 10G LR SMF LC Transceiver picture

Lot of 2 Cisco 10-3107-01 SFP-10G-LR-S S-Class SFP+ 10G LR SMF LC Transceiver

$59.95



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70