-
How do I enable ftp server (or what's wrong with my Samba)?
I had difficulties transferring a large file (500MB) from a PC running Windows 98 to Knoppix server via SAMBA. Oddly, I can transfer a large file from Knoppix to Windows 98.
I read somewhere that it could be my NIC card (3COM589D). I spent way too much time debugging and decided to try ftp.
How do I enable ftp on Knoppix? When I try to ftp from Windows command line.
ftp <IP address of KNOPPIX>
It doesn't hang. Nrmally, I expect to see a prompt for username.
I don't seem to connect. It seems like it is using a different port (not 21).
Sorry for such a newbie post.
-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I enable ftp server (or what's wrong with my Samba)?
This is probably a stupid question, but you are trying to upload to a knoppix server which is installed on a hard drive right? I haven't used the ftp server myself, but I see no reason you shouldn't be able to log in. If you're trying to upload a 500mb file to an ftp server running off the cd though.....hope you got a lot of ram.
-
Senior Member
registered user
On second thought, maybe you are running the cd version but you have configured the "upload" directory to be a directory which is on your hard drive. This should work. Just make sure you have enabled write permissions to the hard drive where this directory is.
-

Originally Posted by
aay
On second thought, maybe you are running the cd version but you have configured the "upload" directory to be a directory which is on your hard drive. This should work. Just make sure you have enabled write permissions to the hard drive where this directory is.
I am running the CD version. I mounted a "D" drive (FAT32) in Knoppix as read-write.
I should also add that I have no problems transferring smaller files from Windows 98 to Knoppix. In Win98 I just drag and drop between Explorer File Manager. .
Similar Threads
-
By charliet in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By true1ever in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
-
By npyang in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
-
By koselan in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:17 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Ideas
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95