Quote Originally Posted by drbfunk
a little more info:

when I click on the icon on the desktop, it opens file:/pendrive but nothing is shown

when I'm in the konsole, I type

cd /pendrive
ls

and I can see the contents of my thumbdrive in the konsole. The contents are linux programs I want to install to my new system.
Where is the communication issue?
Thanks for all your help already
B
Try adding umask=000 to make it rw,noatuto,user,umask=000 you may have to add uid=1000,gid=1000 this assumes that you are user 1000 to check use the id command in a console it will tell you the numbers in the first two fields. Also if you can see the files in the console then you can just copy them to a directory of your choice with the cp command eg. cp /pendrive/* /directory_to_be_copied_too/ which would copy the entire contents of the pendirve to the directory copied too. When you do the ls in the console are you root?