-
dsl connection
Hi
I've installed to the hd and am trying to get connected to the dsl.
On the debian-knoppix forum Klaus Knopper said to addthe line
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dynamic dhcp
to /etc/network/interfaces
I believe that I have done this (it shows up when I "less" the file.
But no connection.
When I went the second time to edit the file (It did not seem to stick the first time!) The following message appeared
E325 ATTENTION
found a swap file by the name...
As far as i Know I did not enter anything about a swap file
Thanks to all
-
Member
registered user
dsl connection
Hi,
I configed the dsl connection with the same progs I used in the cd booted system (exept there is normally no KNOPPIX menu entry).
Ran as root /usr/sbin/netcardconfig
Configured the nic to a static adress:
IP: 192.168.98.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 192.168.98.255
Gateway: empty
DNS: empty
Afterwards I ran (as root again) /usr/sbin/pppoeconf
configed dsl provider &c.
Connects @ boottime.
I did this w/ about 25 installations - absolutely no probs.
tom
-
dsl conection
tuxtom
Many thanks for your reply
I looked at /usr/sbin/netcardconfig using "less":
1) there is a _lot_ of stuff
2) I believe that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of files like this in the OS
3) i am _completely_unable to understand how any _one_ man, i.e Klaus Knopper, could create a functioning OS. Even if you compare the work to writing a thousand page book, in which a few punctuation mistakes would be insignificant, in the OS a misplaced comma could prevent any function.
As you can see I have no experience in looking at , or "editing", a computer file.
There were some "MESSAGES" in the file, but no blank lines near them to enter any more info.
At some point I found that the gui was frozen; I went to man shutdown as root and thought that if I entered, as root, shutdown -h-t10, this would shut the computer down. Nothing happened so after Ctrl-Alt-Dlt the computer rebooted into the gui login and I clicked on
halt.
I mention this only to give you some idea of ny utter "newbieness!"
Perhaps I must wait for a much more newbie friendly install
Thanks again
Similar Threads
-
By davec51 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
-
By l0815 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By Tetsuo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-29-2004, 11:06 AM
-
By Delbor in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2003, 12:41 AM
-
By tagamichi in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$49.99