Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wow where should I start?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    Wow where should I start?

    Hi this is my first attempt to use a Linux based operating system and there are a few things I need to get sorted on my PC's before I can really use Knoppix 3.3. I was hoping I could at least get pointed to the right place for some advice here

    Firstly I can't add my HP Deskjet 995 or any other printer as I get a message saying that:

    Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

    What do I need to do here?

    Secondly I want to try Knoppix on an older Toshiba Portege Laptop 7200 but it defaults to a 640 x 480 screen resolution and I can't find where to change it. Also I use a Belkin Wireless Network Card in a PC Card slot but it is not recognised by default so how should I proceed there? I actually have access to some other makes of Wireless cards from ELsa, Zoom, CIsco and Compaq available to me if this helps.

    Finally I get an unrecognised bus message when trying to boot the CD on my New Sony Vaio PCG-GRT716S but I imagine this is purely a system that has not been included in the build to date but any insight into this would be helpfull.

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Chris

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Printer

    Open a root shell via <Knoppix symbol on task bar><Root Shell>
    Type: /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

    Try to add a printer, again.

    Toshiba

    try at boot prompt: knoppix fb1024x768

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    This was my first Knoppix problem too. Turns out that there were 2-3 different ways to skin the cat, except it worked one way, and not the others. I had to go through the K menu rather than the configuration menu (which is what made sense to me). Here's the link to my thread:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

    Also, probably just a strange coincidence, but I went to HS with someone named Chris Hewitt. Hotshot was either valedictorian or salutatorian back in '77. He defended an authority-flouting classmate of mine from being impeached as student body president.

Similar Threads

  1. Don't know how to start ede.
    By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
  2. Need help to start
    By bibear in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
  3. how 2 start
    By ck_lee in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
  4. Can't Start X11?
    By fasttech in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
  5. KDE no start
    By timmd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00