Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I "see" Win2K files from knoppix ?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    41

    How do I "see" Win2K files from knoppix ?

    Hello,

    (This is my first time into Linux).

    I have installed Knoppix on a spare HD using ext3 partitions
    I have a primary hard drive with a Windows2000 installation (my main system at this time)

    Problem:
    How can I make knoppix "see" the Win2K files ?

    For example: I am saving the Mozilla bookmarks (html file) from Win2K into a floppy, then I boot to knoppix and I try to read the file from the floppy but it is *not* there. Similarly, when I save an html from knoppix into a floppy then win2k will not "see" it.

    What is up? How should I be doing this ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Without a bit more information about how you are trying to do these things, it is a bit hard to try and guess why it is not working.
    However, there are quite a few ways of doing what it seems you want to do.

    Firstly, with regard to floppies, to be read using normal knoppix/UNIX commands, they have to be mounted, just like a hard disk partition. However, Knoppix should have created an icon on your desktop which will do this for you. Just click on this icon and it will automount and let you browse in Konqueror.

    There is also a command called mcopy, specifically written to read and write DOS floppy disks without mounting them. Type "man mtools" for more info.

    Alternatively, it should be possible to directly read from your NTFS partition in Knoppix without needing to use a floppy.
    It is possible to mount an NTFS filesystem the same way that you mount an ext3 filesystem. Once again, Knoppix should have created an icon on your desktop to do this, although by default it will mounted read only.

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    41
    Thank you for offering some help on this.

    Being so knew to Linux, I have no idea of the nomenclature. I didn't know what "mounting a partition" (or a drive) means, or what is the significance of these things.

    What I did was, deleted the floppy icon and then recreated by right-clicking on the desktop and set the floppy icon from scratch.

    It seems to work now and I can finaly read the html file that I had saved to the floppy from Win2k.

    P.S. The floppy is all I needed. Being so new to Linux (and knowing nothing about security and firewalls etc), I am not even thinking of linking into the win2k drive from knoppix at this time. (and as a matter of fact that drive is deliberately, physically unplugged)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99