Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?

    TearingHairOut,

    Continuation of LTModem issue...

    Background:
    Root can dialout, use LTWinModem, and get to Web sites through Mozilla and Konqueror.
    All other users can dialout, use LTWinModem, but can not get to Web sites through Mozilla or Konqueror.

    Have checked Mozilla and Konqueror for Policy - not enabled.
    THO...
    Tried PING to address you gave me - worked perfectly.
    Tried DIG to Knoppix address you gave me - FAILED.

    Error returned by DIG:
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

    BTW - Firestarter did get installed fine, with some pushing and pulling - but now it is having crashing problems when I am connected - I need to research this one...

    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Cuddles
    I think I have it.
    I was able to reproduce your situation on my PC.

    You should have a file called /etc/resolv.conf

    Check the output of ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
    It should look something like this.
    Code:
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           87 Dec 24 11:50 /etc/resolv.conf
    The bits we are interested in are the sequence of dashes, r's and w's at the front.

    If yours does NOT look like the one above (I suspect yours will be something like -rw-------) then do a chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf to change it. Of course you will need to logged in as root to change it.

    Once you have it looking like the one above, then try konqueror/mozilla again as a non-root user. You should probably make sure that you exit and restart konqueror/mozilla after changing the file.

    Re: firestarter, I can't really help you here. I have never used it myself.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Attempt failed... THO

    ls -l within the /etc location is something like this:

    lrwxrwxrwx ... ---> /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf

    Note the ending - is this a "redirected" file ???

    I tried the chmod but the same thing above stays unchanged.

    I ALSO went into the /etc/dhcpc location - and a resolv.conf file exists in that location as well...

    An ls -l on this file reported the "what you wanted it to look like" settings.
    But I did a chmod 644 on this file as well, and a ls -l on this file afterwords, keeps the same settings you displayed as a target permissions.

    At this point I left Root, logged in to my "normal" account, and tried a "dig" again - failed with the same return as I posted earlier.

    Any ideas?
    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Hmmm, very strange.

    I'm sort of clutching at straws here, but I did find another topic that seems to address this, and possibly how to fix it.

    Have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2982#14057

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    THO,

    Looked at pre-post -=- I have all that they say - Users I create get the following Groups assisgned to them: audio, cdrom, dialout, dip, fax, floppy, games, knoppix, sudo, tape, usb, users, video, and voice.

    Am I missing any groups? (Actually, "knoppix" was removed from the groups that AREN'T "knoppix" - I thought it rather redundant to get all my Users grouped together with other Groups that the User makes.)

    Should the Users be a group of Root? Is a group I am not including supposed to give the User access to the Web? SOMEONE - We are standing at the edge here, Save me before I take the LAST step... [giggle] j/k

    I would think I DON'T want to include a non-Root user into the Group "root" - wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a user who isn't Root?

    Only thing I can think of is the User is missing being included in a Group that gives them access to the Web? But, Other than the user not being apart of the Group Root, the users are identical, e.g. Root --> Cuddles -=- users.

    Thanks, Anyone...
    Cuddles
    [ps] THO - thanks for all the help - I'm at wits end too.

    [ppss] Where do I locate Screen Savers? [giggle] The debian site was down, so I couldn't search it, and it took me hours just to navigate FreshMeat to a listing of more than a thousand programs, all could not be "filtered" down to any single type -=- Linux, Screen Saver, Download -=- but continued to give me listings of everything. After ten screens of listings - I gave up.

Similar Threads

  1. Terminalserver works fine from CD but not from HDD
    By gerald.ortner in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 05:25 PM
  2. Sound card works as root but not as regular user
    By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
  3. my wacom tablet works fine, but...
    By mcsweetie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 06:44 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM
  5. hdb1 mount probs- works fine in root, carn't access in user
    By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5

Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5" IDE XT/AT Hard Drive - Spins Up / Untested...

$57.99



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00