Hi,
Have you checked permissions on /dev/ttySx where:
COM 1 & 3 use IRQ 4 ( ttyS0 & ttyS2)
COM 2 & 4 use IRQ 3 ( ttyS1 & ttyS3)
You can also have a look at:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/peripherals/modem.html
As the Subject suggests.
Background:
LTWinmodem installed driver.
Knoppix/Debian HD Installed.
Two Users configured: Root and Cuddles, plus Knoppix
In KDE User - Root has Dialup, and User "Cuddles" has the following Groups: audio, cdrom, dialout, dip, fax, floppy, games, sudo, tape, usb, users, video, and voice.
/etc/resolv.conf has the following:
lrwxrwxrwx ... --> /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
which this file has the following:
-rw-r--r-- ...
PROBLEM:
Root can dialout, connect, and get to web sites.
User "Cuddles" can dialout, connect, Ping, but can not Dig www.knoppix.net -=- and Mozilla or Knoqueror report the server as not reachable.
Dig returns:
;;connection timed out; no servers could be reached
No policy, or proxy, or anything is set in Mozilla or Knoqueror.
Can someone get me off of using Root to access the Internet?
( I do have a firewall "firestarter" running for protection, but have tried with, and without firewall running, and get same results as above)
Thanks to everyone here, for the assistance, and future assistance,
Cuddles
Hi,
Have you checked permissions on /dev/ttySx where:
COM 1 & 3 use IRQ 4 ( ttyS0 & ttyS2)
COM 2 & 4 use IRQ 3 ( ttyS1 & ttyS3)
You can also have a look at:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/peripherals/modem.html
Markus, thanks for the information, first of all.
Pardon if I sound like a noobe on the subject, I am just frustrated about the HD Install issues.
I am running around using the Root - which I have heard is a serious NO NO in Linux/Unix. AND, I am trying to get all my dev's that I used to have in the Live CD, and don't have in the HD Install, running. At least I finally gotten the WinModem to get to the outside world, with a lot of help.
My question, correct me if I am wrong, but permissions would lock a user for using the dev correct? My user "Cuddles" can get to the modem, can dial out, and can even Ping the www.knoppix.net site, it just can't dig www.knoppix.net site, nor can any browser get to a www.[anything] site.
Am I wrong in this thinking, but, it doesn't sound like users can't get to the ttys# devices, they can dial, they can connect, they can ping with the dial out connection, they just can't - lets see if I can use the right term - they can't resolve a "www.knoppix.net" querry into the needed IP address [?] - Is that it?
If you want, I can look at the permissions on the seriel com dev's - but what do I set them to? [newbie here] What should they be? What shouldn't they be? I am learning, slowly, so to check the permissions I do the following, right? ls -l /dev/ttys# ----- right? And if they are wrong, how do I set them? chmod /dev/ttys# [what number]
Thanks for the help, but, I am learning a little here, and trying to help on my side as much as I can. I want to get away from using my Root for access to the outside world, and start using the personallized users that are created for such a thing.
Cuddles
Hi,
I might actually be grasping at those longish hollow things with the permissions.
It's just that being able to do something as root but not user would suggest missing permissions somewhere.
However, you can look them up with "$ls -l /dev/ttyS*"
I don't have a modem so I can't check but "$chmod 666 /dev/ttyS*" would give all read-write and 777 read-write-execute.
Have you tried "$adduser Cuddles tty" ?
You can also use KUser under system-menu for this.
Ah, now you need to hope that someone who actually knows what he is talking about will answer, I'm just another noob sticking his neck out, but it would be fairly reasonable to assume that.My question, correct me if I am wrong, but permissions would lock a user for using the dev correct?
Oh yes, or rather oh noI am running around using the Root - which I have heard is a serious NO NO in Linux/Unix.![]()
That is, you've heard right.
Aren't we allThanks for the help, but, I am learning a little here, and trying to help on my side as much as I can.![]()
Thanks Markus, I tried your suggestion - it didn't work - but thanks for the help...
I guess this is just one of those: "Gee, didn't you do [this]?" kind of things, but, for the life of me, I haven't a clue. I am just starting to get around within Debian/Knoppix, some things I recall from my old'in days of using cryptic "unix" commands, and some, I am at a complete loss of. This is one of those.
I have at least thrown in a firewall w/ everything being blocked from the outside world, but it still isn't the right thing to be doing. e.g. using Root for things a "stripped down" user should be doing.
I guess we are all "just learning" as we go through the transition from [place your old OS here] to the most dynamic, changing, and growing popularity of Debian/Linux/Red Hat/Suse/Mandrake/etc... OS. It is extremely a different bread of beast, but, I will learn it, and I want to.
Thanks for your help, I guess I will just sit and wait for the "all inspiring" reply to this post, that will shed light on that "try this", and POOF, it works, kinda thing.
Waiting for an answer,
Cuddles
Cuddles
Just clutching at a few more straws for you.
Do you have a program called pump on your system?
There should be an executable file called /sbin/pump.
If so, then you could try simply creating a regular file called /etc/resolv.conf, making sure the permissions are 644.
If you recall, you currently have a symbolic link at /etc/resolv.conf, pointing to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf. Perhaps you should first rename (using the mv command) the symbolic link to something else to keep a backup copy.
Do all of this before you connect to the internet.
After you connect to the internet, check to see if the new /etc/resolv.conf file contains a nameserver ip address. If so, then try to dig something as cuddles.
OK, a summary of steps for you (first lot done as root).
mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.keep
> /etc/resolv.conf
chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
dial the internet
cat /etc/resolv.conf
then as cuddles
dig www.knoppix.net
If this works, great.
If not, you can put everything back as it was by
rm /etc/resolv.conf
mv /etc/resolv.conf.keep /etc/resolv.conf
TearingHairOut,
I thought we might have gotten it this time, but, sadly to say, it failed with the usual message.
I'm even grasping at straws here, could this have anything to do with the WinModem? Who installed it? How it was installed?
Could it have to do with any settings within the Dialup Connection? DHCP, or whatever the stuff is?
I guess this isn't that important, I hopefully will get my new system (some year) and the WinModem here, won't be the problem in the new system. Of course, all the hardware (CD-RW and DVD) will, but thats another story, and off in the future for a while. I would just like to be up and running (correctly) with this system -=- before -=- I begin into the new system. That way, if the new system has issues, I have a backup system to connect and get answers with.
Cuddles
Hi Cuddles
Oh well, it was a long shot anyway.![]()
This is a "resolver" problem.
Your understanding of the situationis pretty much exactly it.they just can't - lets see if I can use the right term - they can't resolve a "www.knoppix.net" querry into the needed IP address [?] - Is that it?
The exercise I had you do earlier with the pings and the digs proved that it has nothing to do with the modem, nothing to do with permissions on the modem device, nothing to do with dial up settings and nothing to do with browser settings.
The problem either has something to do with the way that your dhcp is trying to reconfigure the resolver settings, or something to do with the resolver itself.
The idea of the resolver is that it tells any applications programs that are interested how to go about resolving domain names to IP addresses. This information is stored in the file called resolv.conf.
Of course, when you connect to the internet, your ISP gives your computer new instructions. These are sent down via dhcp commands, and the dhcp client then should modify resolv.conf to reflect the new instructions.
Something is funny (in a wierd, not ha ha way) with either your dhcp client or your resolver configuration. This seems to be specific to Knoppix 3.2, as things are different on 3.3.
This is why I asked about the existence of /sbin/pump, which is used in 3.3.
I fear that the "correct" solution for you is to upgrade to knoppix 3.3.
I realize that this is not an ideal solution in your case because
a. you can't readily download 600+ megs of iso image and
b. you have already invested much time setting up your current system.
Sorry, but I'm kind of out of ideas, and without a working copy of 3.2 to play with I don't think I can do much more to help with this one.
TearingHairOut, I wasn't sure about this, that is why I didn't post the answer before.
In your previous, try, you mentioned "pump", but never refereanced where to use, or how to use, it, so I just dismissed the information of it.
Your original post "fix" stated looking for the existance of /sbin/pump - and then lower in your "fix" you never said anything about using it...
I have a "pump" (it has an icon like a shell, or is it a sprocket(gear)???) within my /sbin location. Is this something of use? Did I neglect to mention this only because it was not mentioned on why it was needed, yes, and I am sorry - it appears that in the 3.2 2003-05-16-Beta with a kernel version of 2.4.20-xfs that I have, that this "pump" is given.
I am really sorry that I didn't bring this up, but, your previous post was stating it as a "look for this", but never said anything about why, or what to do with it. Can this be of use? (as the little boy who stuck his finger in the dyke)
Cuddles
Hi Cuddles
Don't worry too much about the pump.
I only mentioned it in passing because I am still trying to understand how your 3.2 system is configured.
Given that you have already tried my suggestion and it didn't work, the pump stuff is sort of irrelevant now anyway.
Regards
THO

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS
$249.98
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00