K-menu>Configurationa>Network?Internet>Network Card Config
I have a cable-internet connection that works fine in Windows XP using dhcp.
command "lspci" tells me:
"Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev10)"
(which is correct)
command "ifconfig eth0 up" followed by "pump -i eth0" says "Operation failed".
command "netcardconfig" also fails.
What else can I try?
K-menu>Configurationa>Network?Internet>Network Card Config
Umm, I think that is just a GUI way of starting netcardconfig, which apparently didn't work.Originally Posted by rudiz
Do you have the kernel module loaded ? (use "lsmod" to list the ones currently loaded)
I think you should have 8139too. If it isn't listed try "modprobe 8139too"
if u follow my instruction...at the end u only have to click OK.
U are using pump but u have to use dhcp!!!
- I tried "K-menu>KNOPPIX>Network/Internet>Network card configuration", it gave the same as the command "netcardconfig", just some more text around the "Operation failed" response.
- lsmod lists 8139too as one of the loaded modules
- some searching in this forum made me try starting knoppix with the "knoppix noapic lang=be" command, that didn't help.
My ISP tries to prevent clients from using more than one pc on their broadband-connection. Could this be a factor in Knoppix not being able to get an ip-configuration through dhcp?
Can I make Knoppix use the same hostname as in Windows by using "pump -i eth0 -h zzyxxpc"?
I did a "ipconfig /release" in Windows and then booted Knoppix again, now it works!
Hi, Linux users,
I went to my brother'place this weekend, and I wanted to run Knoppix on his system running windoze ME and using a cable modem (Telenet-Belgium-Europe):
Note while at home I use several pc's (1 windoze & 2 linux-knoppix(hd-installed)-debian on an adsl connection, with router, I've never had a problem going on line.
But I had a problem now.
What do I need to do?
Do I have it right?:
FIRST: give the IP free, doing this in windoze with the command (typed in a command prompt):
ipconfig /release
SECOND: reboot the systeem on Knoppix
THIRD: run
"K-menu>KNOPPIX>Network/Internet>Network card configuration"
or run in a terminal:
"ifconfig eth0 up"
followed by
"pump -i eth0"
or do I need to install something else: dhcp?
How do I do that?
Thanks in advance.
Did you check DNS adress at resolv.conf? You can take a view your syslog to get the error.Originally Posted by zZyXx

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD
$599.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00