Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Using Knoppix to backup data over a network.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8

    Using Knoppix to backup data over a network.

    Ok, heres the deal. I work at a major electronics store in the repairs department and I have been using Knoppix to backup data on laptops since we don't have one of those fancy Laptop HD to IDE converters. Anyway, I boot "Knoppix 2", mount hda1 and a smb drive then transfer the files over.

    The problem I'm having is that on some systems that have under 128 MB of RAM, I get an ERRDOS - ERRnomem (Insufficient server memory to perform the requested function.) error. Is there anyway to get around this? can I use my 512 MB flash drive as RAM???? HELP!!!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8

    Oh, yea forgot about something.

    Most of my co-works don't know how to use linux so I made a batch file that will automatically run the commands I mentioned earlyier with SSH. So I also have the SSH server running. Don't know if that would make a big difference.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Why would you need so much RAM with KNOPPIX 2? That doesn't make sense. You should be able to do what you want to do. How about some more info on the troublesome hardware?

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8

    Hardware responce.

    I have has this problem on multiple computers that have been brough in. I'm a newbie to linux and that may be half of the problem right there. Doesn't Knoppix use RAM like it would normally use HD space when running off the boot disk??? I'm going to try using the flash drive and use the knoppix to HD command.

    By the way, what actually happens when you mount a drive? Is that a memory intencive process?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I think what they are suggesting is entering a cheatcode when you boot the CD to run in text mode only-

    knoppix 2

    ^ type that and hit enter at the inital prompt

    mount -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 = this is how you would mount the C: partition read-only

    /etc/init.d/samba start = this is how you would start the samba server

    Then you'd map netowrk drives or use netowrk neighborhood on windows to find the knoppix box and access it's share.


    Personally, I use smbmount to mount the remote windows drive for the knoppix box to use.

    Create a user called knoppix and password on the windows computer
    passwd knoppix (set a password for knoppix same as on the windows computer)
    mkdir /mnt/win
    smbmount //remote_hostname/remote_sharename /mnt/win -u knoppix
    You'll be prompted to enter knoppix's password
    cd /mnt/win
    ls (verify you are no in the shared directory on the windows computer)
    cp /path/to/files/to/copy .

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX DATA BACKUP problems
    By jchun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 06:32 PM
  3. Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD
    By monkymind in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:03 AM
  5. knoppix for backup
    By mohater in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70