-
Senior Member
registered user
>>A.J.G: I can't get su to work in knoppix-installer as debian so I use the root shell as I know it always works.
Have you edited /etc/sudoers to include your username as a sudoer? I have Knoppix > HD 'Debian install' & use su in the regular shell all the time but the HD install will not automatically set up users other thaan 'Knoppix' as sudoer.
>>spydie:When you say I should get the package from debian do you mean download it at debian.com or what?
>> How do I add it to the menus myself?
>> Do I add it to the menu well in KPackage?
Some of this has already been answered so is a bit of a repeat. Debian packages are added using:
1.dpkg (text mode package handler)-works great for some uses but you have to know the name of the pkg you want to add
2.deselect (has a list of packages but still pretty base-level)
3.apt-get text mode package handler which can access any available packages in it's 'sources.list'
4.Kpackage (KDE graphic mode package handler) good & convenient to use (actually a gui front end for apt-get)
5.Synaptic- another gui front end for apt-get. IMHO Kpackage is just as good but sometimes synaptic is a little easier to find things as it uses different sorting
Apt-get actually uses dpkg to do the work of installing the pkg. Kpackage & Synaptic also use dpkg through apt-get
So, for a nOOb (which I still am), first thing to do is (as root) 'apt-get update' which updates your 'sources.list' so you now have a complete list of available packages. Then select & install the package you want using Kpackage or more directly using 'apt-get install'. Knoppix doesn't come with Synaptic so for a practise run try 'apt-get install synaptic'. Most of the time things go OK but sometimes there are dpendency problems or conflicts. Currently I still haven't managed to install Kpat because of dpendency conflicts.Kpat is KDE's solitaire game...actually a much more polished version of the crappy 'ace-of-penguins'game.
To add menu items:
1.use Settings>Kappfinder. KDE will automatically scan for & add new executables
2.use Settings>Menu Editor to add your own
3.create your own desktop links. Right click on bare desktop, the 'add application'.
snOwflake: Stay with it. I could have written your exact same post a few months ago (I fact I did...go to Linux Format forums & do a search for posts by CrashedAgain.)
Similar Threads
-
By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
-
By kamil in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
-
By boombastic in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
-
By linux55 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:11 AM
-
By mogz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)
$6999.99