-
Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....
Ok, heres that deal. I work at a major electronics store and we need to be able to back up data on laptops, but we do not have auth. to take that HDs out. So iv'e loaded knopptix under run level 2 "knopptix 2" at start up. Then I mount my hda1 (my win partition) and then I mount my smb drive and transfer my files over.
The problem comes when I have a laptop that has under 128 MB ram. Then I start getting ERRnomem errors. I figure this is because I'm using so much of te RAM as ramdisk.
So my question is: Can I use a USB flash drive as RAM in Linux??? I would repartition the drive, but many of the laptops I get have a bunch of bad sectors and that usually won't work.
How can I "partition" a USB flash drive as swap and how do I get the Linux box to recongnise it as system RAM?
THANKS in advance for any help.
Similar Threads
-
By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
-
By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
-
By mmaarrcc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
-
By anhtran81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By ReaLity in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00