-
Senior Member
registered user
Noob question about apt-get and sources.list
I have a lot of entries in my etc/apt/sources.list, and even though I haven't a clue about more than half of them, some being commented out previously by who knows who, and others, like security update lines, have been added, and then found to be faulty, so then commented out...
My issues: Is it common to be commenting out entries in the /etc/apt/sources.list? I realize that sites go up and down, and crash, and are changed to other locations, and all that, but, how do you keep track of all this...
I did a apt-get update - and got a whole screen-full of warnings, and errors in the listings...
Specifically:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de (134.76.11.100) connection timed out...
http://people.debian.org ./sources -=- 403 forbidden
./packages and sid/i386 packages with 404 not found
http://non-us.debian.org ./sources and ./packages with 404 not found
and lastly, which I figured was an easy better comment this out...
http://www.videolan.org sources/ sources and i386/ packages with 301 moved permanently
I realize that the file /etc/apt/sources.list is the MAIN update/upgrade file for locating needed, and wanted programs, and that the file is sooooo easily updated with any editor, that can make it even easier to mess it all up. Either by accident, or by adding/commenting out entries in a kind of nilly-willy manor.
Looking over the above entries, finding all of them, except for the non-us.debian.org entry, I manually began to comment them out, with information on why and when they were commented out, then thought... Maybe, before I possibly muck things up with a update or upgrade, I might want to check beforehand....
Anyone got ideas on this subject?
Thanks to everyone,
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
I realized after sending off my original post, that I might have been a little abrupt, and missed the thought of adding the sources.list I have, this is the "proposed alteration" of the file:
[/code]
hopefully, this works, I am still learning the interface here,
Cuddles[/code]
Similar Threads
-
By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
-
By Timo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM
-
By tsitras in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
-
By TimWhite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
-
By rattler in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-27-2003, 06:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00