Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: difficulty copying and burning - please help me save my data

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    difficulty copying and burning - please help me save my data

    I had a bad system crash yesterday that left me with a non fucntioning WinXp. I put in the XP disc hoping to install a new version ontop of my old version. I had no luck, the installer couldn't see my partition information. I tried to boot into my Linux Mandrake partition with no luck either. MBR must have gotten fubared.

    I have about 2gb of data I need to get off my Windows FAT32 partition. I've tried the following 3 things with no avail:

    1) copying data from my C: to another partition. After about 100mb, the copying window just displays 'Stalled', yet my HDD light continues to stay light.

    2) burning the data to a CD. I've tried this, I told K3b to use one of my other partitions as a the temp directory, in hopes of putting less load my RAM. About 50% done with the burn, it just stops and the disc ejects with an error communicating with the CD writer.

    3) transfer through FTP. I setup BulletProof FTP on a system I have. I logged in using Konquerer, I transfered 80mb at about 10kb/s and then I get the 'Stalled' error again the transfer stops - yet the HDD light continues to stay light.

    This is getting very frustrating.

    I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 512 PC 2100 RAM, 5gb free on a partition that I can use for temp space. I'm running Knoppix 3.3 off the CD.

    Please help me, I'm desperate!!!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    Sounds like a hardware problem -- your hard disk is bad. You're able to copy data fine until the drive head hits a file that's sitting on a bad spot. At that point, the computer will try over and over to read the data and "stall." This will happen regardless of which of the three methods you're attempting to use to recover your data (all of those methods will work, by the way).

    Your best bet is to try to figure out which files are holding up the copy and then try to avoid those files. In other words, copy your data in small groups of files rather than in one big mass (yes, it is tedious).

    See if your failing hard disk is still under the manufacturer's warranty -- some of them are covered for three years.

Similar Threads

  1. copying data & mouse problem
    By dannax in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 07:04 PM
  2. How can I save data on my Memory stick ?
    By spree in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
  3. Help me Save my Data!
    By StryDeR in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
  4. Save data to cd-rw
    By toutous in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:58 AM
  5. Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5

Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5" IDE XT/AT Hard Drive - Spins Up / Untested...

$57.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



76 Vintage 3.5

76 Vintage 3.5" Floppy Disks NON-WORKING Retro Computer Props Craft Art Lot

$19.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00