I have been reading everything I can find about setting up a VPN server on my Knoppix hd install here at home so (amongst other things) my son who lives nearby can print to my printer via the net. When I get that working, I want to put a VPN server in my Debian stable server at work so I can get into it via the net from here at home.
I haven't got far.
I gather that the knoppix installed kernel does not have support for IPSec.
=======
root@full:/home/ken# ipsec setup
Kernel support for IPSec not found, aborting.
===========
I thought I would try and set up the support IPSec needs as a module using modconf but wasn't able to find anything listed there that seemed to be what I needed.
I have never messed with compiling a kernel and would just as soon not take that leap, but maybe I have to. Is there another way?
Any general suggestions on which packages to use? FreeSwan seems to be the leading package. Is there anyone running it with a Knoppix hd install?
Thanks for any help.
Ken

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
ORICO 4 Bay RAID Drive Enclosure - Upgraded JMS591 Chip - USB 3.2 Gen2x2 20Gbps
$279.99
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49