-
I'm buying an internal modem. Which one?
I'm a Windows user who hopes to become a Linux user.
I'm getting a new (internal) modem and would like to be able to use it with Knoppix and hopefully also Flonix.
Can anyone suggest a good 'linmodem' that I could easily find in Australia? Must be internal, must be cheap.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not sure about Aussie, but on this side of the ditch ( NZ ) DSE - Dick Smith Electronics sells linux compatible modems.. check out www.dse.co.nz and search for linux, DSE are really pushing it here... also putting openoffice on all the driver CDs. What is DSE up to with linux on that side of it?
-
Hey thanks. DickieAU doesn't have that modem on their site. A search for 'linux modem' brings up "TEAC Interactive Set Top Box"
Yeah!
I'll go ask the humans at DSE here and see if they can help me. Maybe they'll have a vague idea what I'm talking about. If not, I'll think about ordering from NZ.
Unless I accidently walk out with the TEAC set top box...
-
I have a Modem Blaster 5601 PCI modem that works flawlessly in Linux (any flavor).
BR
-
Senior Member
registered user
Always a huge mistake to use an internal modem. The extra expense of an external serial type is money well spent. Watch the lights for unexpected activity, switch it off and on again when the Net causes a crash, move to any/every other machine in the house/neighbourhood, use it with any OS. I never had better advice - and they last longer!
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oldgeezer
Always a huge mistake to use an internal modem. The extra expense of an external serial type is money well spent. Watch the lights for unexpected activity, switch it off and on again when the Net causes a crash, move to any/every other machine in the house/neighbourhood, use it with any OS. I never had better advice - and they last longer!
OG.
You left the most important part out no surges of power from a telephone line frying your computer, an extenal modem will die first before the surge gets in the computer.
-
Junior Member
registered user
hey kerosene, go for the external modem win modems suck at best
hows things in mexico?
-
I've already got an external modem (somewhere).. which I haven't tried with Linux, but I assume it will work. I'm getting a new internal modem anyway - so I'll at least look at the DSE one.
-
Anyone got any other suggestions? I'm going shopping on Monday.
I know there are linmodems out there that work.
-
BestData makes a hardware modem that even says it's linux compatible on the box. It would be worth looking into before you buy something you are not sure about. Don't trust salesmen in stores, it's been my experience they don't know a winmodem from a hole in the ground.
Similar Threads
-
By ottosykora in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-26-2004, 04:47 AM
-
By The Fader in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
-
By maneeshkumar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE
$65.00

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00