I should add that a BIOS update did help: the modem works again.
I conclude that may be a problem if you use Knoppix 3.3 on a Dell Inspiron 2650 (may be because of boot option toram, may be for some other reason).
urs
Dear Knoppix friends
Has anybody ever heard about Knoppix disabling a built-in modem?
I have used Knoppix 3.3 on a Dell 2650 with success
(also trying boot option toram, without success though).
Afterwards my built-in modem did not respond any more.
Diagnostic: "a signal tone goes into the modem but the modem cannot hear it".
Is this a coincidence or a hard to believe effect of Knoppix?
I should add that a BIOS update did help: the modem works again.
I conclude that may be a problem if you use Knoppix 3.3 on a Dell Inspiron 2650 (may be because of boot option toram, may be for some other reason).
urs
I have seen similar problems on my Dell 2400 which has a built-in network card BCM 4400 from broadcom.
When I reboot it somehow disables the built-in network card.After that it stops working. The only way to get it to work after this is to disconnect the power supply for about a minute and then connect it back.
i have started seeing the same problem with kernel 2.4.18-21 even on a pure Debian stable install.

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair
$365.00
POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$200.00
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99