Try putting in your lilo.conf one of this lines:
vga=791 (for 1024x76
or
vga=788 (for 800x600)
or
vga=785 (for 640x400).
Glad if I could help...![]()
Hi everyone,
I am running a HD install of Knoppix-3.2. It's 99.99% fantastic!!
I compiled & installed my first kernel, 2.6.1, and after some hair-pulling, got it to boot successfully. The one thing that's vexing me is: The TTY font size is huge, and I don't know how to reduce it (toldja it was a newbiw question!). When 2.4.22 boots, the TTY font size is nice & small - Is there a command I can pass the kernel to do this and more than that, a way to automate it?
TIA!!
Try putting in your lilo.conf one of this lines:
vga=791 (for 1024x76
or
vga=788 (for 800x600)
or
vga=785 (for 640x400).
Glad if I could help...![]()
Aha! my lilo.conf has 'normal'; I'll try '791' Thanks!
dit it work as you expected?
Little off topic but probably a similar problem; I used to have knoppix-hd-install on my system with 2.6.0 and I did not see any of the "dmesg-output" until kdm came up. Otherwise the kernel ran just fine. Just curious what might have caused this. any ideas?
The framebuffer that is being used (vga=791 in the /etc/lilo.conf) is not working with the 2.6 kernel when you boot you should use Linux vga=normal at the lilo screen (change the Linux to whatever is displayed for the kernel being booted) or edit the /etc/lilo.conf and make the change there to be used everytime you boot do not forget to run /sbin/lilo after making the change to have it written to the disk.Originally Posted by EmDee
ok, cool, thanks a lot, I'll remember that for my next 2.6 trial! Are there any compile time options that I should know about regarding this issue?
If I remember correctly this is what I tracked it down too needing to be set.Originally Posted by EmDee
If you want the little penguin logo.Code:# # Character devices # CONFIG_VT=y CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y # # Graphics support # CONFIG_FB=y # CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set # CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set # CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set CONFIG_FB_VESA=y CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y # CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set # CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set # # Console display driver support # CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y CONFIG_FONTS=y CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y # CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set # CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
And if you want the PC speaker to make noise.Code:# # Logo configuration # CONFIG_LOGO=y # CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO is not set # CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16 is not set CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y
Code:# # Input Device Drivers # CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
In fact, this was my problem exactly. When I set vga=791 in lilo.conf, no TTY. vga=normal = VGA!!. Still can't get the font size where I want it, but I think I'll wait for a few more revs before I try 2.6 again. I found in X when I opened > 1 konsole, there was serious weirdness ... none of my typing showed up, screen wouldn't clear, etc. Thanks for the sound tip also!!

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$200.00
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00