Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: onboard via sound and sb live

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    onboard via sound and sb live

    When Knoppix boots, it finds the onboard VIA sound device. Sound quality with it is kind of bad using XMMS.
    Can I make Knoppix use the SBLive card instead? How?
    I'm booting it from CD.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Welcome luwe,

    Onboard via sound will work will with the proper setting.

    I use a via mini itx with a 1000 mh C3 processor.
    There is a buzzing sound until you set a sampling rate
    to 48000.

    At first the sound did not work at all but now
    alsa is automatic.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831#15723

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: onboard via sound and sb live

    Quote Originally Posted by luwe
    When Knoppix boots, it finds the onboard VIA sound device. Sound quality with it is kind of bad using XMMS.
    Can I make Knoppix use the SBLive card instead? How?
    I'm booting it from CD.

    TIA
    Also if you just want to use the SBLive card, then go into your bios and turn off on board sound. Then try your using your SBLive card.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    thanks

    I can't believe I didn't think about turning it off in BIOS.
    At boot it finds the SBLive card.

    Thanks "aay".

    I can't configure the sound card. I boot from cd so I'm guessing that's the reason.

    I get:
    " The module used for your card, emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed."

    I don't really know what it means.
    If anyone knows a quick solution, please share.
    If it's just cause I'm booting from CD then it's ok,
    putting together a new PC just for Linux as we speak.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by luwe
    I can't believe I didn't think about turning it off in BIOS.
    At boot it finds the SBLive card.

    Thanks "aay".

    I can't configure the sound card. I boot from cd so I'm guessing that's the reason.

    I get:
    " The module used for your card, emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed."

    I don't really know what it means.
    If anyone knows a quick solution, please share.
    If it's just cause I'm booting from CD then it's ok,
    putting together a new PC just for Linux as we speak.
    You may have a bad CD try knoppix testcd if that says it is ok then use knoppix alsa at the boot: prompt.

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. AC 97 onboard sound w/ Knoppix 3.7 (help plz)
    By jtvision in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
  3. sound issues with onboard sound chip
    By frank34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
  4. onboard sound not detected
    By pwchicken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. onboard sound issue
    By wikked in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On picture

Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On

$25.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick  picture

Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick

$38.88



Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read picture

Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read

$329.95



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games picture

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games

$349.30