Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Static IP is not static!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15

    Static IP is not static!

    I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Static IP is not static!

    Quote Originally Posted by beecee
    I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??
    Sounds like you have a DHCP server giving you an address from somewhere on the network how do you have the network setup?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by beecee
    I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?
    It would be coming from the windows box, IIRC when you use internet connection sharing it uses DHCP to assign the address to the machines on the network.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    Ah, there you go. This is the first time I've used ICS. I had the DHCP service disabled, but now I see it was the client. It's always something. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Static IP Help
    By hoy_128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
  2. static DNS problem !
    By Atte in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:12 PM
  3. Static IP address
    By jdally in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
  4. Setting Static IP
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
  5. Static IPs?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99