-
Deleting KDE ..
I've installed newest KDE (3.1.94 b2) and I want to change kdm (ou initialization) to start by the new one. How can I do that? And how can I delete the old one? Because I can't find it .. it seems like I'm a newbie but I've installed the new on /usr/local/kde .. and it looks like the 3.1.4 isn't there ..
-
Senior Member
registered user
How did you install the new one?
-

Originally Posted by
fingers99
How did you install the new one?
Compilating manually
... only needed packages
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Deleting KDE ..

Originally Posted by
XX
I've installed newest KDE (3.1.94 b2) and I want to change kdm (ou initialization) to start by the new one. How can I do that? And how can I delete the old one? Because I can't find it .. it seems like I'm a newbie but I've installed the new on /usr/local/kde .. and it looks like the 3.1.4 isn't there ..

Not sure about your problem here never tried it from source but you can get pre-compiled .debs with this line in your sources.list:
You can find the packages you need to upgrade by using the command COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345] which would give you output similar to this:
Code:
>$ COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345]
ii ark 3.1.4-1 KDE archiving tool
ii gawk 3.1.3-2 GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing language
ii kaddressbook 3.1.5-1 KDE NG addressbook application
ii kappfinder 3.1.5-1 KDE Application Finder
ii kate 3.1.5-1 KDE Advanced Text Editor
ii kcontrol 3.1.5-1 KDE Control Center
ii kdeartwork-theme-desktop 3.1.5-1 Dummy upgrade package for official KDE desktop themes
ii kdeartwork-theme-icon 3.1.5-1 icon themes released with KDE
ii kdebase 3.1.5-1 KDE Base metapackage
ii kdebase-bin 3.1.5-1 KDE Base (binaries)
ii kdebase-data 3.1.5-1 KDE Base (shared data)
ii kdebase-kio-plugins 3.1.5-1 KDE I/O Slaves
ii kdelibs 3.1.5-1 KDE core libraries metapackage
ii kdelibs-bin 3.1.5-1 KDE core binaries
ii kdelibs-data 3.1.5-1 KDE core shared data
ii kdelibs4 3.1.5-1 KDE core libraries
ii kdepim-libs 3.1.5-1 KDE PIM libraries
ii kdeprint 3.1.5-1 KDE Print
ii kdesktop 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop
ii kdewallpapers 3.1.5-1 wallpapers released with KDE
ii kdm 3.1.5-1 KDE Display Manager
ii kfind 3.1.5-1 KDE File Find Utility
ii kget 3.1.5-1 KDE Download Manager
ii kghostview 3.1.5-1 PostScript viewer for KDE
ii khelpcenter 3.1.5-1 KDE Help Center
ii kicker 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop Panel
ii klipper 3.1.5-1 KDE Clipboard
ii kmail 3.1.5-1 KDE Email client
ii kmailcvt 3.1.5-1 KDE KMail addressbook converter
ii kmenuedit 3.1.5-1 KDE Menu Editor
ii kmix 3.1.5-1 KDE based mixer app
ii kompare 3.1.4-3 a KDE GUI for viewing differences between files
ii konq-plugins 3.1.5-1 plugins for Konqueror, the KDE file/web/doc browser
ii konqueror 3.1.5-1 KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and Document Viewer
ii konqueror-nsplugins 3.1.5-1 Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
ii konsole 3.1.5-1 KDE X terminal emulator
ii kpager 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop Pager
ii kpersonalizer 3.1.5-1 KDE Personalizer
ii ksmserver 3.1.5-1 KDE Session Manager
ii ksplash 3.1.5-1 KDE Splash Screen
ii ksysguard 3.1.5-1 KDE System Guard
ii ksysguardd 3.1.5-1 KDE System Guard Daemon
ii ktip 3.1.5-1 Kandalf's Useful Tips
ii kuickshow 3.1.5-1 KDE image/slideshow viewer
ii kview 3.1.5-1 KDE simple image viewer/converter
ii kwin 3.1.5-1 KDE Window Manager
ii libkdenetwork2 3.1.5-1 KDE Network (common libraries)
ii libkonq4 3.1.5-1 Core libraries for KDE's file manager
ii libmimelib1 3.1.5-1 KDE network mime library
ii xfonts-konsole 3.1.5-1 Fonts used by the KDE Konsole
And result in a command like this to upgrade the packages to the CVS versions for the packages.
Code:
apt-get -s install konq-plugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040104+as libarts1=1.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as libxslt1/unstable libqt3c102-mt=3:3.2.1-6+as1 kde-cvs-snapshot ark=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kaddressbook=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kappfinder=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kate=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kcontrol=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdeartwork-theme-desktop=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdeartwork-theme-icon=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdebase=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-bin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-data=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-kio-plugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdelibs=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs-bin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs-data=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs4=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdepim-libs=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdeprint=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdesktop=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdewallpapers=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdm=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kfind=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kget=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kghostview=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as khelpcenter=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kicker=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as klipper=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kmail=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kmenuedit=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kmix=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040104+as konqueror=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as konqueror-nsplugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as konsole=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kpager=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kpersonalizer=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksmserver=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksplash=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksysguard=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksysguardd=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ktip=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kuickshow=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kview=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kwin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as libkdenetwork2=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as libkonq4=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as libmimelib1=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as xfonts-konsole=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as
This would be all on one line and you would modify for your installed packages and remove the -s from the command if things looked good to actually install the packages this best done from a console login and you will most likely need to use /etc/init.d/kdm restart to get a login at the new kdm greeter screen. Note for any additional packages you may want to install you need to use apt-cache policy package_name and use the exact version number with the = for that package to install. So if you want to give it a try this is another way to get what you want. Additional note the package gwak in the COLUMNS= output above did not need to be upgraded and the package libqt3c102-mt most likely needs to be downgraded to the 3:3.2.1-6+as1 version which will happen when you use the = in the install line it has to be this exact package or the CVS packages will not install.
-
Re: Deleting KDE ..

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
XX
I've installed newest KDE (3.1.94 b2) and I want to change kdm (ou initialization) to start by the new one. How can I do that? And how can I delete the old one? Because I can't find it .. it seems like I'm a newbie but I've installed the new on /usr/local/kde .. and it looks like the 3.1.4 isn't there ..

Not sure about your problem here never tried it from source but you can get pre-compiled .debs with this line in your sources.list:
You can find the packages you need to upgrade by using the command
COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345] which would give you output similar to this:
Code:
>$ COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345]
ii ark 3.1.4-1 KDE archiving tool
ii gawk 3.1.3-2 GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing language
ii kaddressbook 3.1.5-1 KDE NG addressbook application
ii kappfinder 3.1.5-1 KDE Application Finder
ii kate 3.1.5-1 KDE Advanced Text Editor
ii kcontrol 3.1.5-1 KDE Control Center
ii kdeartwork-theme-desktop 3.1.5-1 Dummy upgrade package for official KDE desktop themes
ii kdeartwork-theme-icon 3.1.5-1 icon themes released with KDE
ii kdebase 3.1.5-1 KDE Base metapackage
ii kdebase-bin 3.1.5-1 KDE Base (binaries)
ii kdebase-data 3.1.5-1 KDE Base (shared data)
ii kdebase-kio-plugins 3.1.5-1 KDE I/O Slaves
ii kdelibs 3.1.5-1 KDE core libraries metapackage
ii kdelibs-bin 3.1.5-1 KDE core binaries
ii kdelibs-data 3.1.5-1 KDE core shared data
ii kdelibs4 3.1.5-1 KDE core libraries
ii kdepim-libs 3.1.5-1 KDE PIM libraries
ii kdeprint 3.1.5-1 KDE Print
ii kdesktop 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop
ii kdewallpapers 3.1.5-1 wallpapers released with KDE
ii kdm 3.1.5-1 KDE Display Manager
ii kfind 3.1.5-1 KDE File Find Utility
ii kget 3.1.5-1 KDE Download Manager
ii kghostview 3.1.5-1 PostScript viewer for KDE
ii khelpcenter 3.1.5-1 KDE Help Center
ii kicker 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop Panel
ii klipper 3.1.5-1 KDE Clipboard
ii kmail 3.1.5-1 KDE Email client
ii kmailcvt 3.1.5-1 KDE KMail addressbook converter
ii kmenuedit 3.1.5-1 KDE Menu Editor
ii kmix 3.1.5-1 KDE based mixer app
ii kompare 3.1.4-3 a KDE GUI for viewing differences between files
ii konq-plugins 3.1.5-1 plugins for Konqueror, the KDE file/web/doc browser
ii konqueror 3.1.5-1 KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and Document Viewer
ii konqueror-nsplugins 3.1.5-1 Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
ii konsole 3.1.5-1 KDE X terminal emulator
ii kpager 3.1.5-1 KDE Desktop Pager
ii kpersonalizer 3.1.5-1 KDE Personalizer
ii ksmserver 3.1.5-1 KDE Session Manager
ii ksplash 3.1.5-1 KDE Splash Screen
ii ksysguard 3.1.5-1 KDE System Guard
ii ksysguardd 3.1.5-1 KDE System Guard Daemon
ii ktip 3.1.5-1 Kandalf's Useful Tips
ii kuickshow 3.1.5-1 KDE image/slideshow viewer
ii kview 3.1.5-1 KDE simple image viewer/converter
ii kwin 3.1.5-1 KDE Window Manager
ii libkdenetwork2 3.1.5-1 KDE Network (common libraries)
ii libkonq4 3.1.5-1 Core libraries for KDE's file manager
ii libmimelib1 3.1.5-1 KDE network mime library
ii xfonts-konsole 3.1.5-1 Fonts used by the KDE Konsole
And result in a command like this to upgrade the packages to the CVS versions for the packages.
Code:
apt-get -s install konq-plugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040104+as libarts1=1.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as libxslt1/unstable libqt3c102-mt=3:3.2.1-6+as1 kde-cvs-snapshot ark=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kaddressbook=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kappfinder=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kate=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kcontrol=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdeartwork-theme-desktop=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdeartwork-theme-icon=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdebase=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-bin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-data=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdebase-kio-plugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdelibs=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs-bin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs-data=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdelibs4=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdepim-libs=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kdeprint=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdesktop=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kdewallpapers=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20031231+as kdm=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kfind=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kget=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kghostview=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as khelpcenter=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kicker=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as klipper=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kmail=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kmenuedit=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kmix=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040104+as konqueror=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as konqueror-nsplugins=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as konsole=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kpager=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kpersonalizer=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksmserver=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksplash=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksysguard=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ksysguardd=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as ktip=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as kuickshow=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kview=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as kwin=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as libkdenetwork2=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as libkonq4=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as libmimelib1=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040102+as xfonts-konsole=4:3.2.0-0+cvs20040103+as
This would be all on one line and you would modify for your installed packages and remove the -s from the command if things looked good to actually install the packages this best done from a console login and you will most likely need to use
/etc/init.d/kdm restart to get a login at the new kdm greeter screen. Note for any additional packages you may want to install you need to use
apt-cache policy package_name and use the exact version number with the = for that package to install. So if you want to give it a try this is another way to get what you want. Additional note the package gwak in the COLUMNS= output above did not need to be upgraded and the package libqt3c102-mt most likely needs to be downgraded to the 3:3.2.1-6+as1 version which will happen when you use the = in the install line it has to be this exact package or the CVS packages will not install.
Ops, I forgot to say that I don't want to replace KDE's .. so I'm going to install the new one on a different place ... and now its released 3.2rc1 (3.1.95 w/ some bugs fixed) so I'm compilating it .. but how can I change the startup to initialize by startkde of ~/kde_beta/bin/startkde in opposite to the default one?
Similar Threads
-
By su_root in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 07:28 PM
-
By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
-
By frishert in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
-
By Dinant in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
-
By patrick in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed
$129.99

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 512K Model M0001W - Works
$249.99

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple
$60.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99