An iwconfig tells me this:

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 15
of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 16.
Some things may be broken...

eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"familie_doebele" Nickname:"lapi"
Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.457GHz Cell: 02:23:6A:C0:29:7D
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/242700000
Retry min limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption key:1111-2222-3333-4444-0000-0000-00 Security modepen
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
I think that all this is saying that your hardware is basically recognised and working, so you are definately on the right track. Don't worry too much about the version 15/16 message. I get that all the time and don't seem to have any problems.

The question is, what other wireless device are you trying to talk to?
Do you have some sort of a wireless access-point or are you trying to talk to another computer with a wireless card?

If you have an access-point, I think they configure things like the ESSID for you, otherwise you have to configure these manually.

THO