Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Process respawning too fast...

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    Process respawning too fast...

    I have Knoppix 3.3 installed to the HDD. I notice in my syslog several messages along the lines of:

    INIT: "3" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    INIT: "4" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    INIT: "5" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    etc.
    etc.
    Any idea why this is happinging?

    Also, when I logout and tell KDM to restart the machine, it doesn't shutdown and restart. It hangs in the console.

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Process respawning too fast...

    --Post a copy of your /etc/inittab, something got screwed up in it (probably a path.)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamarob
    I have Knoppix 3.3 installed to the HDD. I notice in my syslog several messages along the lines of:

    INIT: "3" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    INIT: "4" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    INIT: "5" Process repawning too fast. Disabling for 5 minutes.
    etc.
    etc.
    Any idea why this is happinging?

    Also, when I logout and tell KDM to restart the machine, it doesn't shutdown and restart. It hangs in the console.

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    I figured it out last night. Apparently, my Knoppix CD is bad. Even though the hd install went perfectly, I had lots of files in /sbin that were empty (0 bytes). Included in these files was 'getty' and 'shutdown'. So, that explains the errors I was getting.

    After discovering this, I booted with the CD using 'knoppix testcd' and it failed when checking the knoppix image. So, I booted up with a 7/26/03 CD, mounted my hd install (hdd2) and copied all of the files from the /sbin directory to /mnt/hdd2/sbin where the existing /mnt/hdd2/sbin files had 0 bytes size.

    This seems to have worked fine. No more "respawing too fast" errors, and the machine shuts down properly when you select 'shutdown' or 'shutdown and restart'.

    I'm planning to burn a fresh Knoppix 3.3 CD today.

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

Similar Threads

  1. process to monitor boot process and all necessary apps
    By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
  2. tty3 respawning too fast.
    By maxxedout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 08:33 PM
  3. Init "1" process responding too fast - what cause
    By bilzer in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:53 AM
  4. Processes respawning too fast...
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. shutdown process
    By m in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 12:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server picture

Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server

$499.00



Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350 picture

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00