Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to test whether knoppix cluster works?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7

    How to test whether knoppix cluster works?

    Hi!

    I am a very new user of Knoppix Clustering. I have this project that is to connect at least 2 dell pentium 4 computers together to form a Linux cluster. I have already finished installing the knoppix on the Hd on my 2 computers with the info I get on the Internet.

    What I want to do now is to prove that the cluster works. I have link it up to a private network that do allow me to surf the internet as well, although the mozilla do not work sometimes.

    What kind of programs or scripts can i run to test the clustering? Where can I get these programs or scripts? How do I find out if the 2 computers are connected? There is an autodetect function which I read up in the installation guide but how will I know that they are connected in a cluster?

    Thanks alot, will apperciate your fast responses.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You meant you're using ClusterKnoppix right? Ordinary Knoppix does not have a mosix kernel or packages it needs for clustering...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7
    I am using KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso which I download it from "mirror.pacific.net.au".

    Sorry but I am really new to Linux so I do not know how to go about at it.

    But I have found a openMosix Stress test which I hope to use to test my clustering.(found on "www.openmosixview.com/omtest")

    Please advise.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    On this page- http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations

    You will find many custom versions of Knoppix. One of them is called ClusterKnoppix which has been modified to act as a mosix cluster. Just network your PC's togher and boot them off of a CD and they should start communicating and swapping processes back and forth. The way a mosix cluster works is to balance the load of processes between all available machines and send them to the machines with the most free resources.

    The way a beouwulf cluster works is to split the threads of multi-threaded applications and run them simultaneously on different machines. Only specially coded software will work this way- ie its not good for much from a home user's standpoint.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7
    You are really good. Thanks alot, arkaine23.

    I will try out the ClusterKnoppix as you suggested. Really apperciate your help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    When using a dual-processor ,does this work the same way ?
    Or is the thread also divided into multi-threads and divided over both processors ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    SMP- multi threaded applications will take advantage of both CPU's. Otherwise single threads will distribute themsleves onto one or the other CPU. This makes SMP machines great at multi-tasking with single-threaded apps, and particularly (usually about 60% performance advantage) good at multi-threaded applications.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7
    Hi again.

    I have sucessfully download and burn the latest version of the clusterKNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN-cl1.iso.

    I have no problems running it from the cd but when I tried a Hd Install, I get this error: "scandir:No such device or address".

    I did the installation anyway and got some of the configurations wrong including the network as the error message keep popping out every 2-3 secs. After installing it, it is able to boot up but my network doesn't work anymore.

    Tried to reinstall clusterKnoppix again but it pop out the error: "EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)) ext2_write_inode: bad inode number: 5011 Remounting filesystem read only"
    Another error: "shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directoris: No such file or directory..."

    What is wrong with my version? Can anything be done to get rid of the error?

    really apperciate all the help there is..

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    scandir:No such device or address

    Hi new~bie!
    At me at the same problem >>>(scandir: No such device or address)!!!
    If you have solved her, please send me the answer!
    >>>[email protected]
    Special Thanks!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    On this page- Only specially coded software will work this way- ie its not good for much from a home user's standpoint.
    There is a remaster that will allow paralell processing with normal programs.

    I played with it but never really tested it.

Similar Threads

  1. cluster knoppix: '/proc/hpc not exist'??
    By antec in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
  2. New Cluster Knoppix Released
    By dolphin in forum News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 09:51 PM
  3. Adding AFS configuration to a Knoppix cluster
    By Lidio Mozi in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
  4. Anyone built a Knoppix cluster?
    By UselessPython in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 06:38 AM
  5. A question about Knoppix Cluster!
    By estranged in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HPe Proliant Microserver Gen10 AMD Opteron 16GB RAM, 3x Intel SSD, Working picture

HPe Proliant Microserver Gen10 AMD Opteron 16GB RAM, 3x Intel SSD, Working

$600.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00