Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: persistent home is asking for a password?!?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    persistent home is asking for a password?!?

    I created a persistent home directory and then rebooted so I could use it. The system is now prompting me for a 20-character password. I have no idea what to enter, and it won't let me enter nothing. What do I do???

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Think of a password you can remember (or write it down) -- don't forget, Linux is case sensitive -- and enter it.

  3. #3
    I never answered the question about whether to encrypt this persistent home. After I told it to create it, the window disappeared and I thought it was done. Now I realize from something I read on another site that it wasn't done at all--it was just taking a long time. So I turned off my computer while it was in the middle of creating the persistent home area, the format is unrecognizable, and that's why Knoppix thinks it's encrypted. It's not encrypted; it's corrupted. Now what do I do? How do I delete it and start again?

  4. #4
    I recreated it, and this time I let it run to completion. It works much better that way.

    It's disconcerting that the system gives no indication that it's doing anything during the pause.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    (most) Of the time, in Knoppix, as well as in Windows, you should at least get a message stating: "Completed" - go on that assumption

    At the end of the creation of the persistant options, Knoppix should return by saying Completed [something] -=- and give you an OK button to click on...

    Also, I hope, you were not LITERALLY turning off your computer, and actually using the Shutdown option - this kind of "powering off" is very bad, both in Knoppix, Linux, and even Windows - since most Operating Systems now-a-days, have lots of files and stuff open, they need to do a "orderly" shutdown, or when you power the computer back on, it may not be pretty.

    But, you are right though, maybe a progress bar or something, would be nice, like: Process Completion ### % -=- or something -=- Please Wait... Creating [something] -=- and THEN, the Completed.

    Cuddles

  6. #6
    I have my persistent home area working just fine now, along with my persistent config file. I have some other questions, but I'll post that in a new thread.

    Re powering off... Knoppix is very weird about this. I log out of Knoppix, and it shuts down the OS but not the computer. I have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to manually turn it off. Then about five minutes later, the computer spontaneously turns itself on again. It is EXTREMELY annoying. What's with this??

    Also, how come Knoppix doesn't have a restart option? You have to actually power off to log on again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    It does have a restart option, but I think thats only after you install it to the hard drive, i.e. a full hd install. Thats what I know, I used the cd for a while, and then hdd installed my knoppix.

    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Another persistent /home question
    By harryhood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
  2. Persistent home and NTFS
    By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
  3. persistent home password
    By jeremy2300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:06 AM
  4. moveing persistent home to 3.4
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. Persistent Home and HD access
    By Knewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 to SFP+ 10GB 74-6321-03 Converter Module *Lot of 14” picture

CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 to SFP+ 10GB 74-6321-03 Converter Module *Lot of 14”

$115.19



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile

$35.00