Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VNC GUI Server

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    VNC GUI Server

    Ok, I've been looking at posts on how to start the vnc server for knoppix. But whenever I log in a get a command prompt with a grey backround. I would like to see the desktop and everything but all I get is the command prompt. I'd prefere not to use desktop sharing.

    If it matters I'm a newbie useing knoppix V3.3-2003-11-19-EN with a real vnc viewer on a windows tablet pc to view.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18
    Yeah, I noticed that too--except with Red Hat 9. I got the server started from the command prompt..well sort of.. but whenever a client connects all you see is the X cursor and a grey background..as if the machine is starting up.

    And you cant move the cursor. I'm using the latest stable build of TightVNC.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18
    Hey I found this article on Linux VNC--looks useful, and our solution.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    ok. whats the article

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18
    arg! I can't believe I did that again! I forgot the link, sorry.

    its http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Network...ith_Linux.html

    But, it didnt work for me :/

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I can't look ATM but that's usually the default configuration for vnc whether on Linux or win. Find the configuration and change it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Works in my remastered CD fine via the vncserver-launching scripts I wrote, but once hdd-installed, I get X but no WM when using vnc. It's all just gery with a X for a cursor. Need to look at the configs...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    And the real challenge is getting VNC to share display :0.

    Currently there are a few hacks that allow this, but the most promising and easy method looks to be to use RealVNC 4.0 (which is currently in beta testing), or hope that TightVNC introduces this very soon.

Similar Threads

  1. FTP Server?
    By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 05:56 AM
  2. vnc server
    By dougvega in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 11:50 PM
  3. YP Server
    By rhpot1991 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
  4. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


CWVK X86-P2 Fanless Firewall Mini PC J4125 16GB RAM Dual Intel i226-V 2.5GbE picture

CWVK X86-P2 Fanless Firewall Mini PC J4125 16GB RAM Dual Intel i226-V 2.5GbE

$184.99



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 48 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA Authentic. picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 48 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA Authentic.

$266.00



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$185.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99