-
Editing hostnames
Another newbie question!
I'm trying to edit /etc/hostnames to reflect the machines I'm connecting to but keep getting told that the file is write protected. Where am I going wrong? What am I missing?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are you running from cd or a hd install?
/etc/hostname is the name of the machine
The file you want to change is /etc/hosts
If you are running from cd you will have to save your new /etc/hosts file to a floppy, zip, thumb, hd or persistent home. Then you can remove the existing /etc/hosts file and use your new file.
More info about your system and network would help.
~rock
-
Hi
Running from CD
Sorry Slip of the pen, I meant /etc/hosts.
I'm using an IBM 600x laptop with a Linksys USB abaptor. Connecting to two creakingly old PowerPCs running AIX (this is the NHS after all).
How do I save to persistant home? I haven't got my head round the file system yet.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you have a fat32 hd installed in the laptop?
if so then...
In the KDE menu there should be a knoppix entry in it should be the make persistent home entry. You can use an existing fat32 hard drive or other writable media for your persistent home.
Or just save your edited /etc/hosts file on your hd and link to it. Using this approach I would pborably make an etc directory on your hd and place your new hosts file there, then as root (as an example, your hd may be a different device and have a different mountpoint)
rm /etc/hosts
ln -s /mnt/hda1/etc/hosts /etc/hosts
HTH
~rock
Similar Threads
-
By photosoupguru in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:26 AM
-
By apun in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 08:06 AM
-
By jtsai256 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-12-2004, 07:00 AM
-
By Legithrandil in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

Lot of 50 HPE Mellanox 655874B21 Rev B2 40G QSFP to 10G SFP Adapter G2U
$224.95

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99