Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How can I use a local /mybin directory?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22

    How can I use a local /mybin directory?

    I wish to use a local /mybin directory for various scripts.
    What is the best way to do this?

    On other machines I normally use /usr/local/bin which is empty in most distros or soft link /usr/local/bin to /home/bin. I have about a hundred scripts and other files there.

    On Knoppix I cannot do this easily because /usr exists on the cdrom with lots of files. I also tried creating a /home/bin and put a few scripts in it, but next reboot they had disappeared even though I used the Knoppix/save function to a floppy. However files in /etc are saved and restored ok.

    I'm using a floppy to save the configuration info now but later will use a Thumb drive. I don't want to use persistant home because it appears you have to copy the entire Knoppix cdrom to it. I just want to be able to use the Knoppix cdrom anythere and have a small floppy or Thumb to have my customized files there.

    Thanks, Pelican

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Note: I haven't used a new knoppix version, I'm using a 3.2? version from last summer, my persistent home does not include the whole knoppix image.

    I use a saved config file and persistent home on our school computers, I boot to the cdrom with my zip disk in place and the lab printer is configured and my screen resolution etc. is as I want and my files are in my home.

    Note at least on the versions I have used, kde configs are not saved as they should be but I've learned to live with that minor problem.

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    22
    Hello RockMumbles.

    I read and copied into a file your previous thread around mid 2003 about using persistant home. Unfortunately, I lost the thread subject. Do you remember it?

    Looks like I'll to bone up on persistant homing. I've found the FAQ but haven't yet what exactly goes in the home. Also, although I have managed to create a new user, Knoppix would not assign a home directory to it.

    I have a 64 meg thumb drive that I want to both Save Knoppix Configuration and have a persistant home.

    In the meantime, I've found a work-around for my personal bin files. Since Save Knoppix Configuration saves all of /etc, I created a new /etc/bin directory that gets saved and restored each time. Not exactly the usual place for a /bin but what the hey, it works.

    Thanks, Pelican

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Make a persistent home as described. All the contents of /home/knoppix go into it and will be used at boot and automatically rsynced to the /home/knoppix in ramdisk so long as you use the knoppix home=scan cheatcode. This includes KDE configs...

    This will add your scripts directory to your $PATH variable so your script will be useable as if they were system commands for the user knoppix.

    PATH=$PATH:/home/knoppix/mybin

Similar Threads

  1. Locked /usr/local/bin directory
    By yadwin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
  2. Logon to active directory or NT directory ......
    By ktheking in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
  3. rc.local
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 04:28 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board  picture

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board

$345.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00