This has been discussed before (just search for Cruzer): the cruzer mini doesn't work with newer linux (such as knoppix). The simptoms range from drive not being detected to hard hangups. There is even a recipe, which, incidentally, didn't work for me. So, here's another one:

1. Unplug the cruzer mini. Boot Knoppix.

2. Get at a root prompt (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F2)

3. Do
Code:
echo /bin/true > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
. This prevents the hotplug scripts from atempting to mount the drive once you plug it in. Do NOT do (tempting!)
Code:
/etc/init.d/hotplug stop
instead, which would prevent the drive from being detected at all.

4.
Code:
modprobe usb-storage
5. Plug it in. The light should come on. If it doesn't, pull the drive out and plug it in again.

6.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sandisk
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sandisk
7. Enjoy!!

8.
Code:
umount /dev/sda1
Unplug the drive

Now, this works every time. I wish I could figure out what it is that the hotplug scripts do differently than I do that makes it hang hard. I notice that just before hang-up
Code:
ps lax
shows a
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda count=1...
in addition to the mount, as if the script were trying to read the partition table off the drive. Could that be it?