Hi everybody:
I've been trying to do the same thing for a few months (at least 5), and now I've managed to have good results.
I have a Maxi Sound M;use sound card (c-media cm-8738 chip) and the driver is cmpci.o but there was a problem in my knoppix. This sound card suports 4 speakers, 4 channels, but in my knoppix I just could listen the 2 front speakers.
I have made the same question many times in this forum but never have a solution, so i decided to experiment.
I had realised that in other distros like SuSE 9.0 live or Mandrake, it worked good, i could listen the 4 speakers, and manage the volumes in kmixer, so i did this:
1.- I booted my computer with Suse 9.0live (4 channels sound).
2.- Then i searched the driver file --> cmpci.o and copy it to a floppy disk.
3.- Then I restarted the system into knoppix (hdinstall) and copy this cmpci.o into /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound as root, in order to replace the existing one.
4.- Then reboot knoppix. You'll be able to listen all your speakers sound.
I think i can try recompiling the driver, but i don't know exactly haw to do it. If someone can tell me? I think it is a better way than the one i have done.
I hope this helps others like me.
See you![]()

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00
Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$135.65