Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Newbie: VNC in Knoppix 3.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2

    Newbie: VNC in Knoppix 3.3

    I'm new to Linux, but very interested. After several false starts, I've finally gotten Knoppix V3.3 running on on my hard drive. Eveything seems to work well, and all hardware is detected. I guess I've been incredibly lucky so far, since I know very little about actually Using a Linux system.

    I'd like to use VNC to access this machine remotely as I do with a Windows 2000 machine in the basement which houses my satellite DirecPC receiver.

    I searched the Linux partition using KDE's find files application and it turned up several instances of files named Xvnc or similar. Does this mean that VNC is configured on this machine? If so, how do I start it?

    If not, can someone give me a step-by-step on installing it (like where to put it and how to set it up and start it)? I did manage to get the realvnc package downloaded to the knoppix home directory, but I don't really know how to proceed from there.

    Thanks,
    JCH

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    in a konsole, type
    vncviewer ip.address ( where ip address is the ip or hostname of the server you want to connect to )

    Knoppix also has windows remote desktop viewer :
    run
    rdesktop server.ip.address.or.hostname

    for both these commands,
    run them with --help
    e.g. rdesktop --help

    to get the full list of options.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2

    Thanks

    Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Obviously it is in there. And I can get it to work - sort of.

    I can run vncviewer in listen mode on the Linux box and connect to it with one of the windows boxes and, after enabling desktop sharing in Knoppix, I can connect to it with vncviewer from one of the windows boxes. I can't, however, connect to either of the windows boxes from the Linux box with vncviewer. The windows machines both log in as administrator with no password and they can deal with other just fine on the (TCP/IP) network. I suspect it's a permission problem, but I can't figure it out.

    Thanks again,
    JCH

Similar Threads

  1. newbie in knoppix ...
    By rrrjunior in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
  2. Knoppix newbie
    By johngrinham in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
  5. knoppix newbie
    By srinivasan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00