-
02-21-2004, 07:11 AM
#111
How come this isn't up on mirrors yet? or is this an unofficial release.
-
02-21-2004, 03:54 PM
#112
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
champagnemojo
They both loaded for me...but you can't use insmod with the 2.6 kernel...I was prepared to try installing module-init-tools with a hd-install, but you can't install it either...the installer is missing a file called knx-templates.0.39.tgz. But it's still cool to try out the new kernel and all.

I noticed that as well if you have a net connections setup then you need to:
At first I could not figure out how you get it to boot 2.6 from a HD install though I just kept getting a kernel panic no init found no matter what init= I passed so I had to boot with the CD and edit lilo to show a prompt to boot the old kernel. Then I changed to the /boot directory and ran
mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz to make a new initrd then changed the initrd= line in the /etc/lilo.conf to
initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.1.gz and ran /sbin/lilo -v to write lilo and rebooted and Voila! kernel 2.6 on a HD install.
Edit: And I had to add:
Code:
## Needed for kernel 2.6
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
To the /etc/fstab as well to get the /sys mount needed for kernel 2.6 the directory /sys already existed so I did no have to create it.
Stephen I am having a little troulbe with HD install I followed your post but when I CD to "/boot"and run "mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz" I get "/usr/sbin/initrd: /dev/fd does not exist". I checked my mount it shows the floppy and the fstav shows /dev/fd.. When I reboot I get the kernel panic "no initrd found" pass initrd=option ore something to that effect. Can anyone get me past this point?
-
02-21-2004, 04:11 PM
#113
Junior Member
registered user
-
02-21-2004, 11:22 PM
#114
I'm having trouble turning it to english. I got it booted using expert26 and it runs, but it's all in German still. The only things I was able to change was the keyboard to US style and make the creen larger. Where and when do I type the lang=us?? HELP PLEASE!?
P.S. Not a hard Core computer prson, I can do a lot with them though. Plus Knopix/Linux/Unix is still pretty new to me too.
Also howcome my scroll button on my mouse doesn't work?
-
02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
#115
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Hakarune
I'm having trouble turning it to english. I got it booted using expert26 and it runs, but it's all in German still. The only things I was able to change was the keyboard to US style and make the creen larger. Where and when do I type the lang=us?? HELP PLEASE!?
P.S. Not a hard Core computer prson, I can do a lot with them though. Plus Knopix/Linux/Unix is still pretty new to me too.
Also howcome my scroll button on my mouse doesn't work?
You would type that right after eg expert26 lang=us you need to use the SHIFT and 0 (zero) keys at the same time to get the =.
-
02-22-2004, 01:14 AM
#116
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cronos55
Stephen I am having a little troulbe with HD install I followed your post but when I CD to "/boot"and run "mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz" I get "/usr/sbin/initrd: /dev/fd does not exist". I checked my mount it shows the floppy and the fstav shows /dev/fd.. When I reboot I get the kernel panic "no initrd found" pass initrd=option ore something to that effect. Can anyone get me past this point?
I did not get that error however looking at the /usr/sbin/mkinitrd it looks like the only places in the file where I find mention of the /dev/fd is here near the bottom of the file and in the very last line.
Code:
ROOT=${croot-$ROOT}
MKIMAGE=${cmkimage-$MKIMAGE}
[ -d /dev/fd ] || {
echo "$PROG: /dev/fd does not exist" >&2
exit 1
}
You may want to you may want to put a exit 0 in the line and see what that does for you. Either that or try mkdir /dev/fd as root to give it what it is looking for.
-
02-22-2004, 10:07 PM
#117
Thanks, I was trying to figure it, but no luck.
-
02-23-2004, 01:50 AM
#118
-
02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
#119
Junior Member
registered user
I'd love to play with the new 2.6 but it neither of these live CD's (knoppix or Overclockix) work with my Nic Card... depressing.
-
02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
#120
Trouble with FTP!
...hey jdell...
I have tried for the last several days to get into the ftp (68.213.18.23
. Everytime I get in and try to download CT, it just sits at ZERO and doesn't move. I've tried with linux and windows machines and with WFTPpro...and get the same problem and result. Do you know what might be wrong. I login anonymously with email address. Do I need to do something else.
PS. ...to everyone...Is anyone else having this problem?
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 47
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
-
By Granny in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
-
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 08:32 PM
-
By emanuelez in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:06 PM
-
By SwissSmurf in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)
$149.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$199.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00