-
Junior Member
registered user
Formatting/Partitioning HDD
Hi, I hope someone can help please, I have looked for docs here but couldn;t find anything.
I have a 30gb HDD which is currently a dual boot, Win 98se and Suse 9. When I installed SUSE I let it choose the best way to partition the HDD so I have a 20gb win partition and a 10gb Suse partition. Suse loaded GRUB as the bootloader.
I want to wipe this drive clean and use it for my Knoppix HDD install. However I can't seem to get the partitions to delete using qtparted. The data has gone but there still seems to be linux partitions on the disk. Any Ideas how I do this please, as I would like to start again with a bare disk?
Thanks in advance
Ritchie
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Baldyeti
Thanks for the reply. What is happening is that I highlight the partition I want to delete, click on delete, and it doesn;t delete, its still there!!!....
I wanted to have a bare disk with no partitions because I want to learn how to install to partitions rather than than the automated procedure.
I will try the cfdisk route
Thank you for your help
Ritchie
Similar Threads
-
By Dark_Wolf in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
-
By Chuckbaker in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By dresac in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By Spike in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
-
By A.T.O.B in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00